The Monsanto Company (NYSE: MON) is a U.S.-based multinational agricultural biotechnology corporation. It is the world's leading producer of the herbicide glyphosate, marketed as "Roundup". Monsanto is also the leading producer of genetically engineered (GE) seed; it provides the technology in 90% of the world's genetically engineered seeds. It is headquartered in Creve Coeur, Missouri.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationfederal data covers roughly through Q2 2014
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Monsanto Co
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Monsanto Co $12,340,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Chemical Industry,
- Natural Resources,
- Science & Technology
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.942 American Research and Competitiveness Act of 2011 S.727 Bipartisan Tax Fairness and Simplification Act of 2011 S.1577 Greater Research Opportunities With Tax Help Act H.R.5973 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013 H.R.872 Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act of 2011 S.2375 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013 H.R.1249 America Invents Act H.R.6083 Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2012 S.23 Patent Reform Act of 2011 S.473 Continuing Chemical Facilities Antiterrorism Security Act of 2011
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Registrant Summary June 23, 2015 WilmerHale International agribusiness transactional issues. View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 371 dockets; Submitted to 13 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Monsanto Co" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Monsanto Co
- Toggle 2 APHIS Monsanto Co.; Availability of Petition, Plant Pest Risk Assessment, and Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status for Corn Genetically Engineered for Drought Tolerance 2011
- Toggle 1 USTR 2012 Special 301 Review 2011
- Toggle 1 ITA Request for Public Comments Concerning Regulatory Cooperation Activities that Would Help Eliminate or Reduce Unnecessary Regulatory Divergences in North America that Disrupt U.S. Exports 2011
- Toggle 1 ITA Request for Public Comments Concerning Regulatory Cooperation between the United States and the European Union that Would Help Eliminate or Reduce Unnecessary Divergences in Regulation and in Standards Used in Regulation that Impede U.S. Exports 2011
- Toggle 1 OSHA Voluntary Protection Program Information 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Petition Seeking Mandatory Labeling for Genetically Engineered Foods 2011
- Toggle 1 APHIS Monsanto Co.; Availability of Petition for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Soybean GE'd for Dicamba Tolerance 2012
- Toggle 1 APHIS Genective, SA.; Availability of Petition for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Corn GE'd for Glyphosate Tolerance 2012
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry: FDA Records Access Authority Under Sections 414 and 704 Federal Food, Drug, & Cosmetic Act 2011
- Toggle 1 LMSO Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act; Interpretation of the "Advice" Exemption 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Monsanto Co
- Toggle 2007 EPA Glyphosate – Pesticide Petition (PP# 2E7979) and Registration Requests for use on root and tuber vegetables, except sugarbeets; oilseed group 20; teff forage and hay; vegetable, bulb, group 3-07; vegetable, fruiting, group 8-10; fruit, citrus, group 10-10; fruit, pome, group 11-10; berry and small fruit, group 13-07 2012
- Toggle 576 FDA Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption 2011
- Toggle 351 APHIS Monsanto Co.; Availability of Petition for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Soybean GE'd for Dicamba Tolerance 2012
- Toggle 264 APHIS Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc.; Availabillity of Petition for Determination of Nonregulated Status for ArcticTM Apple Events GD743 and GS784 2012
- Toggle 260 APHIS Monsanto Co.; Availability of Petition, Plant Pest Risk Assessment, and Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status for Corn Genetically Engineered for Drought Tolerance 2011
- Toggle 236 APHIS Stearidonic Acid Soybean Deregulation Petition 2011
- Toggle 107 APHIS Monsanto Co.; Availability of Petition for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Maize Genetically Engineered With Tissue-Selective Tolerance Facilitating the Production of Hybrid Maize Seed 2012
- Toggle 101 APHIS Monsanto Co.; Availability of Petition for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Dicamba and Glufosinate Tolerant Cotton 2012
- Toggle 82 APHIS Monsanto Co.; Availability of Petition for Determination of Nonregulated Staus for MON 88302 Canola 2012
- Toggle 75 APHIS Monsanto Co.; Availability of Petition for Determination of Nonregulated Status for MON 87712 High Yield Soybean 2012
Advisory Committees8 people on 7 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Monsanto Co" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 3 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Interior 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of State 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 1 person on 1 committee