The Monsanto Company (NYSE: MON) is a U.S.-based multinational agricultural biotechnology corporation. It is the world's leading producer of the herbicide glyphosate, marketed as "Roundup". Monsanto is also the leading producer of genetically engineered (GE) seed; it provides the technology in 90% of the world's genetically engineered seeds. It is headquartered in Creve Coeur, Missouri.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2010 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Monsanto Co
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Monsanto Co $16,724,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Natural Resources,
- Chemical Industry,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Food Industry
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1260 Patent Reform Act of 2009 H.R.422 S.515 Patent Reform Act of 2009 S.1203 Grow Research Opportunities With Taxcredits' Help Act S.610 Patent Reform Act of 2009 H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 H.R.2098 S.364 Agriculture Competition Enhancement Act of 2009 H.R.4154 Permanent Estate Tax Relief for Families, Farmers, and Small Businesses Act of 2009 H.2010 State and Local Predatory Towing Enforcement Act
RegulationsMentioned in 369 dockets; Submitted to 9 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Monsanto Co" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Monsanto Co
- Toggle 20 APHIS Environmental Assessment; Determination of Nonregulated Status of Sugar Beet Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2010
- Toggle 1 FWS Three Forks Springsnail and San Bernardino Springsnail 2009
- Toggle 1 USTR 2010 Special 301 2010
- Toggle 1 USTR Special 301 FR notice 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Revise Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) Affirmation Regulation for High Fructose Corn Syrup to Recognize "Corn Sugar" as an Alternate Common or Usual Name for High Fructose Corn Syrup-CLOSED 2010
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Public Comments to Compile the National Trade Estimate Report on Foreign Trade Barriers and Reports on Sanitary and Phytosanitary and Standards-Related Foreign Trade Barriers (All Other Measures) 2009
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments Concerning Free Trade Agreement With the Republic of Colombia 2009
- Toggle 1 NIFA AFRI Stakeholder 2010 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Good Laboratory Practice for Nonclinical Laboratory Studies 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Monsanto Co
- Toggle 3234 APHIS Environmental Assessment; Determination of Nonregulated Status of Sugar Beet Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2010
- Toggle 943 APHIS Dow AgroSciences LLC; Availability of Petition, Plant Pest Risk Assessment, and Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Corn Genetically Engineered for Herbicide Tolerance 2010
- Toggle 22 EPA Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs); Reassessment of Use Authorizations 2009
- Toggle 19 EPA Proposed Registration Extensions for Bt Corn Registrations Currently Set to Expire in 2010 2010
- Toggle 18 EPA Notice of FIFRA SAP Meeting; Scientific Issues Associated with Insect Resistance Management Considerations for a PIP Corn Seed Blend, October 5-8, 2010 2010
- Toggle 17 EPA Availability of Draft Report, "Biofuels and the Environment: First Triennial Report to Congress" 2010
- Toggle 17 EPA RFS Annual Rulemaking 2010
- Toggle 16 EPA Notice of Receipt of a Request for a Clean Air Act Waiver to Increase the Allowable Ethanol Content of Gasoline to 15 Percent 2009
- Toggle 14 FDA Food Labeling; Labeling of Food Made From AquAdvantage Salmon; Public Hearing; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 14 EPA Workshop: Cumulative Mixtures Risk of Six Selected Phthalates in Support of the Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) 2010
Advisory Committees9 people on 8 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Monsanto Co" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 5 people on 4 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Interior 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of State 1 person on 1 committee