The Monsanto Company (NYSE: MON) is a U.S.-based multinational agricultural biotechnology corporation. It is the world's leading producer of the herbicide glyphosate, marketed as "Roundup". Monsanto is also the leading producer of genetically engineered (GE) seed; it provides the technology in 90% of the world's genetically engineered seeds. It is headquartered in Creve Coeur, Missouri.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2008 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q3 2013. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Monsanto Co
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Monsanto Co $13,351,120
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Food Industry,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Chemical Industry,
- Foreign Relations
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2419 Farm Bill Extension Act of 2007 H.R.1908 Patent Reform Act of 2007 S.1145 Patent Reform Act of 2007 H.R.1497 Legal Timber Protection Act S.41 Research Competitiveness Act of 2007 S.1759 Agriculture Competition Enhancement Act of 2007 S.2209 Research Credit Improvement Act of 2007 H.R.2138 Investment in America Act of 2007 H.R.1712 Research and Development Tax Credit Act of 2007 H.R.6 Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 285 dockets; Submitted to 7 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Monsanto Co" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Monsanto Co
- Toggle 17 APHIS Regulatory Status of Alfalfa Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2007
- Toggle 3 APHIS Importation, Interstate Movement, and Release into the Environment of Certain Genetically Engineered Organisms 2008
- Toggle 2 FDA Animal Drug User Fee Act; Public Meeting 2008
- Toggle 1 OSHA Ex. 1. National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health (NACOSH); Request for Nominations to Serve on NACOSH 2007
- Toggle 1 DOT American Airlines, Inc., British Airways Plc, Finnair Oyj, Iberia Lineas Aereas de Expana, S.A. and Royal Jordanian Airlines - Approval of and Antirust Immunity for Alliance Agreements 2008
- Toggle 1 FDA Food Labeling: Nutrient Content Claims; Alpha-Linolenic Acid, Eicosapentaenoic Acid, and Docosahexaenoic Acid Omega-3 Fatty Acids 2007
- Toggle 1 APHIS Solicitation of Letters of Interest to Participate in Biotechnology Quality Management System Pilot Project 2008
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Monsanto Co
- Toggle 3942 APHIS Regulatory Status of Alfalfa Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2007
- Toggle 315 APHIS Official Animal Identificaction Numbering Systems 2007
- Toggle 302 APHIS Importation, Interstate Movement, and Release into the Environment of Certain Genetically Engineered Organisms 2008
- Toggle 39 APHIS University of Florida; Availability of Petition and Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status for Papaya Genetically Engineered for Resistance to the Papaya Ringspot Virus 2008
- Toggle 34 APHIS Monsanto Company; Availability of Petition and Draft Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status for Corn Genetically Engineered for Insect Resistance 2007
- Toggle 24 APHIS ArborGen, LLC; Availability of an Environmental Assessment for Controlled Release of a Genetically Engineered Eucalyptus Hybrid 2008
- Toggle 24 APHIS Draft EA and Petition for Syngenta's Alpha-Amylase Corn 2007
- Toggle 20 APHIS EA for Cold-Tolerant Genetically Engineered Eucalyptus 2007
- Toggle 16 APHIS Availability of an Environmental Assessment for Field Tests of Rice Genetically Engineered to Express Lactoferrin, Lysozyme, or Serum Albumin 2007
- Toggle 14 EPA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Identification of Non-Hazardous Secondary Materials That Are Solid Waste 2008
Federal Spending5 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Monsanto Company||2007||State, Department Of||CHEMICAL PRODUCT GLY 41||$10,170,000|
|Monsanto Company||2008||State, Department Of||HERBICIDE||$4,678,200|
|Monsanto Company||2008||State, Department Of||CNP ERAD CHEMICAL PRODUCT ALL BASES||$3,051,000|
|Monsanto Company||2007||State, Department Of||CNP ERAD CHEMICAL PRODUCT||$2,989,980|
|Monsanto Company||2008||State, Department Of||CNP ERAD CHEMICAL PRODUCT||$1,999,422|
Advisory Committees10 people on 11 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Monsanto Co" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 3 people on 4 committees
- Toggle National Science Foundation 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of the Interior 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of State 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee