The Monsanto Company (NYSE: MON) is a U.S.-based multinational agricultural biotechnology corporation. It is the world's leading producer of the herbicide glyphosate, marketed as "Roundup". Monsanto is also the leading producer of genetically engineered (GE) seed; it provides the technology in 90% of the world's genetically engineered seeds. It is headquartered in Creve Coeur, Missouri.
Campaign Finance$15,798,628 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Monsanto Co
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Monsanto Co $80,956,730
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Food Industry,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Science & Technology,
- Chemical Industry
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2419 Farm Bill Extension Act of 2007 H.R.1908 Patent Reform Act of 2007 S.1145 Patent Reform Act of 2007 H.R.1260 Patent Reform Act of 2009 H.R.422 (Unknown) S.515 Patent Reform Act of 2009 S.610 Patent Reform Act of 2009 S.1203 Grow Research Opportunities With Taxcredits' Help Act S.364 Agriculture Competition Enhancement Act of 2009 H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009
RegulationsMentioned in 2334 dockets; Submitted to 127 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Monsanto Co" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Monsanto Co
- Toggle 20 APHIS Environmental Assessment; Determination of Nonregulated Status of Sugar Beet Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2010
- Toggle 17 APHIS Regulatory Status of Alfalfa Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2007
- Toggle 7 OSHA ACRYLONITRILE 2006
- Toggle 3 OSHA HAZARD COMMUNICATION 2006
- Toggle 3 OSHA ETHYLENE OXIDE 2006
- Toggle 3 OSHA NOISE 2006
- Toggle 3 OSHA POWERED INDUSTRIAL TRUCKS 2006
- Toggle 3 OSHA OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH HAZARDS OF CHEMICALS IN LABORATORIES 2006
- Toggle 3 OSHA CONFINED SPACES 2006
- Toggle 3 OSHA HAZARDOUS WASTE OPERATIONS TRAINING ACCREDITATION 2006
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Monsanto Co
- Toggle 3942 APHIS Regulatory Status of Alfalfa Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2007
- Toggle 3234 APHIS Environmental Assessment; Determination of Nonregulated Status of Sugar Beet Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2010
- Toggle 2007 EPA Glyphosate – Pesticide Petition (PP# 2E7979) and Registration Requests for use on root and tuber vegetables, except sugarbeets; oilseed group 20; teff forage and hay; vegetable, bulb, group 3-07; vegetable, fruiting, group 8-10; fruit, citrus, group 10-10; fruit, pome, group 11-10; berry and small fruit, group 13-07 2012
- Toggle 943 APHIS Dow AgroSciences LLC; Availability of Petition, Plant Pest Risk Assessment, and Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Corn Genetically Engineered for Herbicide Tolerance 2010
- Toggle 723 APHIS Dow AgroSciences LLC; Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Herbicide Resistant Corn and Soybeans, and Notice of Virtual Public Meetings 2013
- Toggle 519 APHIS Enhancing Coexistence; Request for Public Input 2013
- Toggle 425 APHIS Availability of Petition for Determination of Nonregulated Status for Monsanto MON 87411 Corn Rootworm Protected and Glyphosate-Tolerant Maize 2014
- Toggle 351 APHIS Monsanto Co.; Availability of Petition for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Soybean GE'd for Dicamba Tolerance 2012
- Toggle 315 APHIS Official Animal Identificaction Numbering Systems 2007
- Toggle 302 APHIS Importation, Interstate Movement, and Release into the Environment of Certain Genetically Engineered Organisms 2008
Federal Spending23 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Monsanto Company||2007||State, Department Of||CHEMICAL PRODUCT GLY 41||$10,170,000|
|Monsanto Company||2006||State, Department Of||CHEMICAL PRODUCT GLY 41||$8,121,762|
|Monsanto Company||2006||State, Department Of||2700 DRUMS PF GLY-41 USED FOR ERATICATION OF DRUGS. POPAYAN VILLAVICENCIO||$5,491,800|
|Monsanto Company||2008||State, Department Of||HERBICIDE||$4,678,200|
|Monsanto Company||2008||State, Department Of||CNP ERAD CHEMICAL PRODUCT ALL BASES||$3,051,000|
|Monsanto Company||2006||State, Department Of||GLYPHOSATE||$3,051,000|
|Monsanto Company||2007||State, Department Of||CNP ERAD CHEMICAL PRODUCT||$2,989,980|
|Monsanto Company||2005||State, Department Of||GLYPHOSATE FOR ERADICATION OPERATIONS||$2,542,500|
|Monsanto Company||2006||State, Department Of||GLYPHOSATE||$2,237,400|
|Monsanto Company||2005||State, Department Of||GLYPHOSATE FOR ERADICATION OPERATIONS||$2,052,320|
EPA Violations5 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Sauget Area 2 Unilateral Admin Order (Cercla)||Monsanto Chemical Co (+76 others)||2002||Sauget, Il||$26,500,000|
|Anniston Pcb Site||Monsanto Company (+2 others)||2003||Anniston, Al||$11,218,346|
|Anniston Pcb Site (Aoc For Cost Recovery)||Monsanto Corporation (+2 others)||2002||Anniston, Al||$6,053,420|
|Picillo Farm Superfund Site||Monsanto (+4 others)||2003||Coventry, Ri||$2,100,000|
|Kanawha River||Monsanto Co (+1 others)||2004||Nitro, Wv||$1,500,000|
Advisory Committees52 people on 40 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Monsanto Co" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 19 people on 9 committees
- Toggle National Science Foundation 15 people on 10 committees
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 6 people on 6 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 4 people on 4 committees
- Toggle Office of the United States Trade Representative 1 person on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of State 2 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Interior 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Energy 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Office of Science and Technology Policy 1 person on 1 committee