Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University is a land-grant university located in north east-central Mississippi, United States, adjacent to the town of Starkville and is situated 125 miles (200 km) northeast of Jackson and 23 miles (37 km) west of Columbus. It is classified as a "comprehensive doctoral research university with very high research activity" by the Carnegie Foundation. With an enrollment of 19,644, it is the largest university in the State of Mississippi. Mississippi State, Mississippi, is the official designation for the area that encompasses the university. In 2009, Mississippi State University was ranked #18 nationally in Forbes magazine's "America's Best College Buys". Mississippi State was also ranked number 1 in agricultural schools within the southeastern conference.
Campaign Finance$223,608 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Mississippi State University
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Mississippi State University $380,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Homeland Security,
- Law Enforcement & Crime,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
- Natural Resources,
- Roads & Highways,
- Science & Technology
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.J.RES.20 (Unknown) H.R.2862 Science, State, Justice, Commerce, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2006 H.R.2360 Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2006 H.R.2419 Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act, 2006 H.R.2631 Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund Act H.R.2744 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2006 H.R.2863 Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2006 H.R.3010 Department of Labor Appropriations Act, 2006 H.R.3058 Transportation, Treasury, Housing and Urban Development, the Judiciary, the District of Columbia, and Independent Agencies Appropriations Act, 2006
RegulationsMentioned in 433 dockets; Submitted to 20 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Mississippi State University" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Mississippi State University
- Toggle 5 FSIS Mandatory Inspection of Farm-raised Catfish and Catfish Products 2008
- Toggle 3 FDA Tetracycline-Proposal to Revise Regulations 1977
- Toggle 2 APHIS ArborGen, LLC; Availability of an Environmental Assessment for Controlled Release of a Genetically Engineered Eucalyptus Hybrid 2008
- Toggle 2 APHIS Dow AgroSciences LLC; Availability of Petition, Plant Pest Risk Assessment, and Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Corn Genetically Engineered for Herbicide Tolerance 2010
- Toggle 2 FSIS Public Meetings on the Proposed Rule for Mandatory Inspection of Catfish and Catfish Products 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA The Judicious Use of Medically Important Antimicrobial Drugs in Food-Producing Animals 2010
- Toggle 1 EPA Glufosinate-Ammonium; Notice of Filing a Pesticide Petition to Establish a Tolerance for a Certain Pesticide Chemical in or on Food 2003
- Toggle 1 APHIS South American Cactus Moth; Quarantine and Regulations 2006
- Toggle 1 DOT Solicitation of Proposals from Interested Communities 2002
- Toggle 1 AMS Notice of Meeting of National Organic Standards Board 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Mississippi State University
- Toggle 21 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit Regulation and Effluent Limitations Guidelines and Standards for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). 2002
- Toggle 20 EPA Regulation of Fuels and Fuel Additives: Renewable Fuel Program 2005
- Toggle 15 DOT 2005/2006 U.S.-China Air Services Case and Designations 2004
- Toggle 12 EPA Effluent Limitations Guidelines and New Source Performance Standards for the Concentrated Aquatic Animal Production Point Source Category 2002
- Toggle 12 EPA RFS Annual Rulemaking 2010
- Toggle 10 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants: Final Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Hazardous Waste Combustors (Phase I Final Replacement Standards and Phase II) 2004
- Toggle 10 APHIS Regulatory Status of Alfalfa Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2007
- Toggle 9 EPA Notice of FIFRA SAP Meeting; Scientific Issues Associated with Insect Resistance Management Considerations for a PIP Corn Seed Blend, October 5-8, 2010 2010
- Toggle 9 APHIS Dow AgroSciences LLC; Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Herbicide Resistant Corn and Soybeans, and Notice of Virtual Public Meetings 2013
- Toggle 8 DOT Solicitation of Proposals from Interested Communities 2002
|2009||$6,500,000||Mississippi State University: Mississippi State University for construction for a research and technology park|
|2010||$6,000,000||Mississippi State University: Expansion of the Research, Technology and Economic Development Park|
|2010||$4,900,000||Mississippi State University: Simulation Based Reliability and Safety (SimBRS) Program|
Mississippi State University:
Army Range Technology Program (ARTP)
|2010||$4,500,000||Mississippi State University: NOAA Northern Gulf Institute|
|2009||$4,500,000||Mississippi State University: Mississippi State University to more effectively link local, state, regional, and national organizations concerned with Northern Gulf wetlands issues and management|
|2010||$3,920,000||Mississippi State University: Advanced, Long Endurance Unattended Ground Sensor Technologies|
|2009||$2,500,000||Mississippi State University: Mississippi State University for digital forensic training|
Mississippi State University:
Army Missile Defense System Integration (Space) -- Ultra Light UAV Sensor Platform (ULSP)
|2010||$1,500,000||Mississippi State University: MSU Cyber Crime Initiative and National Consortium for Digital Forensics Training|
Federal Spending147 grants; 63 contracts; 1 loan
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Mississippi State University||2007||Federal Acquisition Service||IT PRODUCTS||$10,554,134|
|Mississippi State University||2012||Education, Department Of||GRANT PROGRAM||$9,681,953|
|Mississippi State University||2013||Education, Department Of||GRANT PROGRAM||$9,590,039|
|Mississippi State University||2010||Student Financial Assistance Programs||GRANT PROGRAM||$8,613,097|
|Mississippi State University||2011||Education, Department Of||GRANT PROGRAM||$8,552,667|
|Mississippi State University||2010||Student Financial Assistance Programs||GRANT PROGRAM||$8,057,339|
|Mississippi State University||2008||Federal Acquisition Service||IT PRODUCTS||$7,884,413|
|Mississippi State University||2012||National Institute Of Food And Agriculture||Cooperative Extension Programs at 1862 Land-Grant Institutions||$6,885,879|
|Mississippi State University||2008||Student Financial Assistance Programs||GRANT PROGRAM||$6,702,623|
|Mississippi State University||2009||Student Financial Assistance Programs||GRANT PROGRAM||$6,551,218|
Advisory Committees179 people on 82 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Mississippi State University" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 144 people on 59 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 16 people on 9 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Humanities 9 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 4 people on 4 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Arts 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle National Aeronautics and Space Administration 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Interior 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Education 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Defense 1 person on 1 committee