MetLife, Inc. is the holding corporation for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, commonly known as MetLife. The firm was founded on March 24, 1868. For most of its life the company was a mutual organization, but it went public in 2000.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q3 2013. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Metlife Inc
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount MetLife Inc $11,930,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Consumer Product Safety,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.267 Lifetime Income Disclosure Act H.R.677 Lifetime Income Disclosure Act H.R.1534 SAVE Act of 2011 H.R.611 BEST PRACTICES Act H.R.616 Federal Employees Paid Parental Leave Act of 2011 H.R.653 Financial Information Privacy Act of 2011 H.R.654 Do Not Track Me Online Act H.R.1063 Strengthening Medicare And Repaying Taxpayers Act of 2011 H.R.1440 Family and Medical Leave Enhancement Act of 2011 H.R.1528 Consumer Privacy Protection Act of 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 17 dockets; Submitted to 2 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Metlife Inc" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Metlife Inc
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Metlife Inc
- Toggle 2 OCC Volcker Rule - Prohibition on Proprietary Trading and Certain Relationships with Hedge Funds and Private Equity Funds 2011
- Toggle 1 SEC Self-Regulatory Organizations; Proposed Rule Changes: International Securities Exchange, LLC 2012
- Toggle 1 SEC Suspension of Duty to File Reports for Classes of Asset-Backed Securities 2011
- Toggle 1 FTC Granting of Early Termination of Waiting Period Under Premerger Notification Rules 2011
- Toggle 1 CFTC Procedures to Establish Appropriate Minimum Block Sizes for Large Notional Off-Facility Swaps and Block Trades 2012
- Toggle 1 FTC Requests for Early Termination of Waiting Period Under the Premerger Notification Rules 2012
- Toggle 1 OPM Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: Establishment of Multi-State Plan Program for Affordable Insurance Exchanges 2012
- Toggle 1 SEC Self-Regulatory Organizations; Proposed Rule Changes: C2 Options Exchange, Inc. 2012
- Toggle 1 SEC Self-Regulatory Organizations; Proposed Rule Changes: ICE Clear Credit LLC 2012
- Toggle 1 CFTC Derivatives Clearing Organization General Provisions and Core Principles 2011
Advisory Committees2 people on 2 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.