Merck & Co
Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE: MRK), also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD outside the United States and Canada, is one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. The headquarters of the company is located in Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, an unincorporated area in Readington Township. The company was established in 1891 as the United States subsidiary of the German company now known as Merck KGaA. In common with many other German assets in the United States, Merck & Co. was confiscated in 1917 during World War I and then set up as an independent company. Currently, it is one of the seven largest pharmaceutical companies in the world both by market capitalization and revenue.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2010 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Merck & Co
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Merck & Co $14,022,510 Schering-Plough Corp $1,810,000 Ruder Finn Inc $0
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 H.R.3200 America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 S.301 Physician Payments Sunshine Act of 2009 S.515 Patent Reform Act of 2009 H.R.1260 Patent Reform Act of 2009 H.R.1427 Promoting Innovation and Access to Life-Saving Medicine Act H.R.1548 Pathway for Biosimilars Act S.1796 America's Healthy Future Act of 2009 H.R.3962 Affordable Health Care for America Act S.369 Preserve Access to Affordable Generics Act
RegulationsMentioned in 38 dockets; Submitted to 9 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Merck & Co" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Merck & Co
- Toggle 2 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Infection: Developing Direct-Acting Antiviral Agents for Treatment 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Approval Pathway for Biosimilar and Interchangeable Biological Products; Public Hearing; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Suicidality: Prospective Assessment of Occurrence in Clinical Trials; Availability. 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry: Bar Code Label Requirements—Questions and Answers (Question 12 Update)”; Availability 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Good Laboratory Practice for Nonclinical Laboratory Studies 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry and Investigators on Safety Reporting Requirements for INDs and BA/BE Studies; Availability 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA International Conference on Harmonisation; Draft Guidance on Addendum to ICH S6; Preclinical Safety Evaluation of Biotechnology-Derived Pharmaceuticals S6(R1); Availability 2009
- Toggle 1 FDA Guidance for Industry on Dosage Delivery Devices for OTC Liquid Drug Products; Availability” 2009
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Assay Development for Immunogenicity Testing of Therapeutic Proteins; Availability 2009
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Merck & Co
- Toggle 4 FDA Confirm that FDA Will Stay Approval of ANDA No. 90-040 for 30 Months from November 24, 2009 2010
- Toggle 3 EPA EPA/NHTSA Joint Rulemaking to Establish Light-duty Vehicle GHG Emissions Standards and CAFE Standards 2009
- Toggle 3 CMS Medicare Program; Accountable Care Organizations and the Medicare Shared Saving Program 2010
- Toggle 2 EPA Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles 2010
- Toggle 2 PTO Rules of Practice Before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences in Ex Parte Appeals 2009
- Toggle 1 SEC Self-Regulatory Organizations; The NASDAQ Stock Market LLC; Notice of Filing and Immediate Effectiveness of a Proposed Rule Change, as Modified by Amendment No.1 2009
- Toggle 1 FDA Advisory Committee, Workshops, and Conferences Notices Various Meetings Notices (eg., Task Force Meeting, etc.) 2009
- Toggle 1 FDA Developing Guidance on Naming, Labeling, and Packaging Practices to Reduce Medication Errors; Public Workshop, Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 1 EPA Addition of National Toxicology Program Carcinogens; Community Right-to-Know Toxic Chemical Release Reporting 2010
- Toggle 1 EPA Oil and Natural Gas Sector -- New Source Performance Standards, National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants, and Control Techniques Guidelines 2010
Contractor Misconduct1 Instances
This information is collected by the Project On Government Oversight from press releases, court documents, news reports and other public records. It is not meant to be an exhaustive account of all instances of federal contractor misconduct.
More information on each instance, including primary source documents, is available on POGO's site by clicking on the instance description. More information on POGO's methodology is available here.
|Misconduct Type||Hired By||Incident||Year||Disposition||Penalty|
|Antitrust||None||Hawaii Average Wholesale Price Litigation||2010||Settlement||$28,000,000|
Advisory Committees4 people on 4 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.