Merck & Co
Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE: MRK), also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD outside the United States and Canada, is one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. The headquarters of the company is located in Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, an unincorporated area in Readington Township. The company was established in 1891 as the United States subsidiary of the German company now known as Merck KGaA. In common with many other German assets in the United States, Merck & Co. was confiscated in 1917 during World War I and then set up as an independent company. Currently, it is one of the seven largest pharmaceutical companies in the world both by market capitalization and revenue.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2008 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationfederal data covers roughly through Q2 2014
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Merck & Co
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Merck & Co $9,470,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2900 Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act of 2007 S.1082 Medical Device User Fee Amendments of 2007 H.R.6331 Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act of 2008 H.R.3162 Children's Health and Medicare Protection Act of 2007 H.R.1908 Patent Reform Act of 2007 S.1145 Patent Reform Act of 2007 S.2029 Physician Payments Sunshine Act of 2007 H.R.4 Medicare Prescription Drug Price Negotiation Act of 2007 S.250 Medicare Enhancements for Needed Drugs Act of 2007 S.2499 Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 23 dockets; Submitted to 3 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Merck & Co" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Merck & Co
- Toggle 2 FDA Guidance for Industry on Developing Products for Weight Management 2007
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry Describing Product-Specific Bioequivalence Recommendations 2007
- Toggle 1 FDA Agency Information Collection Activities; Proposed Collection; Comment Request; Experimental Study: Toll-Free Number for Consumer Reporting of Drug Product Side Effects in Direct-to-Consumer Television Advertisements for Prescription Drugs 2008
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Merck & Co
- Toggle 3 EPA Veolia Environmental Services 2008
- Toggle 2 EPA Pennsylvania - VOC and NOX RACT Determination for Merck & Company, Northumberland County (OP-49-0007B) 2007
- Toggle 2 EPA Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know; Notice of Public Meeting  2007
- Toggle 2 FDA Patent Extension Application for Zolinza, U.S. Patent No. RE38506 2007
- Toggle 1 FDA Request for an advisory opinion with respect to the FDA's interpretation of 21CFR314.70(c)(6)(iii) regarding NDAs to implement safety-related changes to prescription drug labeling 2007
- Toggle 1 FDA Take Special Consideration When Reviewing any Application for a Generic Version of AMBIEN CR (Zolpidem Tartrate Extended-Release Tablets) 2007
- Toggle 1 FDA Review Labeling and Bioequivalence Standards for Felodipine Extended-Release Tablets to Incorporate Safety Information and Ensure Equivalent Product Safety and Effectiveness 2007
- Toggle 1 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for XIENCE™ V EECSS (everolimus eluting coronary stent system), U.S. Patent No. 5,451,233 2008
- Toggle 1 FDA Ban Use of Mercury In Medicine,UNLESS Proven Toxicologically Safe to the CGMP Standard Sufficiently Nontoxic 2007
- Toggle 1 EPA IRIS Toxicological Review of Propioaldehyde 2008
Contractor Misconduct6 Instances
This information is collected by the Project On Government Oversight from press releases, court documents, news reports and other public records. It is not meant to be an exhaustive account of all instances of federal contractor misconduct.
More information on each instance, including primary source documents, is available on POGO's site by clicking on the instance description. More information on POGO's methodology is available here.
|Misconduct Type||Hired By||Incident||Year||Disposition||Penalty|
|Health||None||Nationwide Vioxx Settlement||2007||Settlement||$4,850,000,000|
|Health||None||Nominal Pricing Fraud||2008||Settlement||$650,000,000|
|Health||None||Humeston v. Merck & Co., Inc. (Vioxx Litigation)||2007||Judgment Against Defendant||$47,500,000|
|Environment||None||Wissahickon Creek Fish Kills||2007||Settlement||$20,575,000|
|Health||None||Abarca, et al. v. Merck (Hexavalent Chromium Contamination)||2008||Judgment Against Defendant||$0|
|Health||None||NY State False Claims Act Lawsuit (Vioxx)||2007||Pending||$0|
EPA Violations2 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|3m Company||Merck & Co., Inc. (+106 others)||2008||Wood Ridge, Nj||$18,000,000|
|Agere Systems, Et Al||Merck & Co., Inc. (+138 others)||2007||Elkton, Md||$11,300,000|
Advisory Committees5 people on 6 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.