Mars, Incorporated is a worldwide manufacturer of confectionery, pet food and other food products with US$30 billion in annual sales in 2008, and is ranked as the 5th largest privately-held company in the United States by Forbes. Headquartered in McLean, unincorporated Fairfax County, Virginia, USA, the company is entirely owned by the Mars family. Mars operates in six business segments in the U.S.: Chocolate (Hackettstown, New Jersey) , Petcare (Franklin, Tennessee), Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company (Chicago, Illinois), Food (Los Angeles, California), Drinks (West Chester, Pennsylvania), and Symbioscience (Rockville, Maryland).
Campaign Finance$25,575 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Mars Inc
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Mars Inc $3,240,000 Alliance for American Advertising $40,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Food Industry,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Foreign Relations
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.510 FDA Food Safety Modernization Act H.R.2749 Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 S.934 Child Nutrition Promotion and School Lunch Protection Act of 2009 H.R.5504 Improving Nutrition for America's Children Act H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010 H.R.977 Derivatives Markets Transparency and Accountability Act of 2009 S.1691 Comprehensive Derivatives Regulation Act of 2009 H.R.3200 America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 H.R.2997 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010 H.R.5297 Small Business Jobs and Credit Act of 2010
RegulationsMentioned in 12 dockets; Submitted to 3 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Mars Inc" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Mars Inc
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Mars Inc
- Toggle 12 EPA Rulemaking for the Steam Electric Power Generating Effluent Limitations Guidelines 2009
- Toggle 3 EPA Clean Air Transport Rule 2009
- Toggle 2 30-Day Structure Function Claim Notification Letters Dietary_2010 re FDA-1997-S-0039 2010
- Toggle 2 USDA Task Force on Childhood Obesity 2010
- Toggle 1 DOJ Office of the Attorney General; Certification Process for State Capital Counsel Systems; Removal of Final Rule 2010
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments on Proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership Trade Agreement 2009
- Toggle 1 DOL Notice of Initial Determination Updating the List of Products Requiring Federal Contractor Certification as to Forced/Indentured Child Labor Pursuant to Executive Order 13126 2009
- Toggle 1 FDA Revise Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) Affirmation Regulation for High Fructose Corn Syrup to Recognize "Corn Sugar" as an Alternate Common or Usual Name for High Fructose Corn Syrup-CLOSED 2010
- Toggle 1 CPSC Interpretation of "Children's Products" 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Front of Pack and Shelf Tag Nutrition Symbols; Establishment of Docket; Request for Comments and Information 2010
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.