Lorillard Tobacco Company is the 18th oldest company in the United States and the nation's oldest tobacco company. It is the third largest American tobacco company and markets cigarettes under the brand names Newport, Maverick, Old Gold, Kent, True, Satin, and Max. As of 2001, Newport ( the number one selling menthol cigarette in the U.S.) was the number two selling cigarette brand in the United States, with a market share of 7.8% . Lorillard is a member of the National Black Chamber of Commerce.
Campaign Finance$241,015 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Lorillard Tobacco
Names of Lobbyists
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1400 H.R.5178 Smuggled Tobacco Prevention Act of 2010 S.3288 Smuggled Tobacco Prevention Act of 2010 H.R.1676 PACT Act H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 H.R.5486 Small Business Jobs Tax Relief Act of 2010 H.R.3962 Affordable Health Care for America Act S.1147 PACT Act H.R.1256 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act H.R.1261 Youth Prevention and Tobacco Harm Reduction Act
RegulationsMentioned in 22 dockets; Submitted to 13 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Lorillard Tobacco" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Lorillard Tobacco
- Toggle 2 FDA Regulation of Tobacco Products; Request for Comments 2009
- Toggle 2 FDA Required Warnings for Cigarette Packages & Advertisements 2010
- Toggle 2 FDA Use of Tobacco Marketing Descriptors to Convey Modified Risk; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 2 FDA Implementation of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act Request for Comments (Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking) 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Agency Information Collection Activities; Proposed Collection; Comment Request; Information Request Regarding Menthol in Cigarettes. 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Agency Emergency Processing Under OMB Review; Tobacco Product Establishment Registration and Submission of Certain Health Information 2009
- Toggle 1 FDA Tobacco Product Advertising and Promotion to Youth and Racial and Ethnic Minority Populations; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff; Section 905(j) Reports: Demonstrating Substantial Equivalence for Tobacco Products; Availability 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA FDA is Requesting Data, Information, and Views and Hosting a Web-Based Public Meeting to Discuss Issues Related to the Development of an Enforcement Action Plan 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry and FDA Staff; “Harmful and Potentially Harmful Constituents” in Tobacco Products as Used in Section 904(e) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act; Availability 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Lorillard Tobacco
- Toggle 16 FDA Required Warnings for Cigarette Packages & Advertisements 2010
- Toggle 13 FDA Implementation of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act Request for Comments (Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking) 2010
- Toggle 7 FDA Regulation of Tobacco Products; Request for Comments 2009
- Toggle 4 FDA FDA is Requesting Data, Information, and Views and Hosting a Web-Based Public Meeting to Discuss Issues Related to the Development of an Enforcement Action Plan 2010
- Toggle 3 FDA Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff; Section 905(j) Reports: Demonstrating Substantial Equivalence for Tobacco Products; Availability 2010
- Toggle 3 FDA Enforcement Action Plan for Promotion and Advertising Restrictions; Availability 2010
- Toggle 3 FDA Tobacco Products, Exemptions from Substantial Equivalence Requirements 2010
- Toggle 3 FDA Use of Tobacco Marketing Descriptors to Convey Modified Risk; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 2 EPA Hickory-Morganton-Lenoir, NC Redesignation Request and Maintenance Plan of the Annual Fine Particulate Matter Standard 2009
- Toggle 2 EPA Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, NC Redesignation Request and Maintenance Plan of the Annual Fine Particulate Matter Standard 2009
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Lorillard Tobacco" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 1 committee