Kinder Morgan, Inc. (NYSE: KMI) is an American energy company. It is also, through a subsidiary, the general partner of and owner of many of the interests in Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, a publicly traded pipeline and terminal limited partnership.
Campaign Finance$1,380,864 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Kinder Morgan Inc
Names of Lobbyists
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Natural Resources,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Disaster & Emergency Planning,
- Environment & Superfund
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2454 American Clean Energy And Security Act of 2009 S.1462 American Clean Energy Leadership Act of 2009 S.1733 Green Taxis Act of 2009 H.R.910 Energy Tax Prevention Act of 2011 H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010 H.R.2845 Pipeline Safety, Regulatory Certainty, and Job Creation Act of 2011 H.R.2937 Pipeline Infrastructure and Community Protection Act of 2011 S.275 Pipeline Transportation Safety Improvement Act of 2011 S.2141 Advancing FASD Research, Prevention, and Services Act S.2191 America's Climate Security Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 65 dockets; Submitted to 6 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Kinder Morgan Inc" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Kinder Morgan Inc
- Toggle 1 FMCSA Hours of Service of Drivers 2004
- Toggle 1 PHMSA U.S. DOT/RSPA - Pipeline Safety - Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Periodic Underwater Inspections 1997
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Pipeline Integrity Management - Timeframes for Repairing Liquid Pipelines and Requirements for Gas Pipelines Operationed by Liquid Pipeline Operators 2004
- Toggle 1 FMCSA WSC - In the Matter of Kinder Morgan, Inc. - Verified Petition for Reconsideration 2008
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Public Meeting - Updates on Operator Qualification Program Implementation and Standards Development 2004
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Design and Construction Standards to Reduce Internal Corrosion in Gas Transmission Pipelines 2005
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Kinder Morgan Inc
- Toggle 9 EPA Rulemaking for the Steam Electric Power Generating Effluent Limitations Guidelines 2009
- Toggle 5 FMCSA WSC - In the Matter of Kinder Morgan, Inc. - Petition for Reconsideration 2008
- Toggle 3 EPA Oil and Natural Gas Sector -- New Source Performance Standards, National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants, and Control Techniques Guidelines 2010
- Toggle 3 EPA Criteria and Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures 2008
- Toggle 3 PHMSA U.S. DOT/RSPA - Notice of Proposed Rulemaking 2002
- Toggle 3 EPA Oil and Natural Gas Systems Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule 2009
- Toggle 3 PHMSA U.S. DOT/PHMSA - Standards for Increasing the Maximum Allowable Operating Pressure for Gas Transmission Pipelines 2005
- Toggle 2 EPA National Emission Standards for Gasoline Distribution Bulk Terminals, Plants, and Pipeline Facilities; and Gasoline Dispensing Facilities 2006
- Toggle 2 PHMSA Pipeline Safety: Request for Modification of Condition 35 (Coating Assessment) Special Permit Docket No. PHMSA-2007-29078 2009
- Toggle 2 PHMSA Pipeline Safety: Pipeline Integrity Management of Natural Gas In High Consequence Areas 2000
EPA Violations3 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Kinder Morgan - Pipeline Spills||Kinder Morgan Energy Partners LP||2007||Oakland, Ca; Suisun, ...||$11,585,893|
|Kinder Morgan Liquids Terminals, Llc||Kinder Morgan Liquids Terminals, LLC (+1 others)||2009||Staten Island, Ny||$5,095,000|
|Plantation Pipe Line Company||Kinder Morgn Operating L.P "D". (+1 others)||2006||Henrico, Va||$2,500,000|
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Kinder Morgan Inc" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee