John Hancock Financial Services
John Hancock Financial is a loose term for a major United States insurance company which existed, in various forms, from its founding on April 21, 1862, until its acquisition in 2004 by the Canadian insurance company Manulife Financial. It was named in honor of John Hancock, a prominent patriot. The company continues to operate as a wholly owned subsidiary of Manulife and its headquarters remains in Boston, Massachusetts.
Campaign Finance$1,268,743 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of John Hancock Financial Services
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount John Hancock Financial Services $10,890,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Energy & Nuclear Power
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3200 National Insurance Act of 2007 H.R.1810 H.R.2205 Retirement Security for Life Act of 2007 S.40 National Insurance Act of 2007 S.1010 Retirement Security for Life Act of 2007 S.1366 H.R.3439 Close the SILO/LILO Loophole Act of 2009 S.1503 Gas Petroleum Refiner Improvement and Community Empowerment Act S.1341 Close the SILO/LILO Loophole Act of 2009 H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010
RegulationsMentioned in 14 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "John Hancock Financial Services" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for John Hancock Financial Services
- Toggle 3 EBSA Default Investment Alternatives Under Participant Directed Individual Account Plans 2006
- Toggle 1 Credit Risk Retention 2013
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments on Canada’s Expression of Interest in the Proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership Trade Agreement 2011
- Toggle 1 SEC Applications: John Hancock Variable Insurance Trust, et al. 2011
- Toggle 1 EBSA Prohibiting Discrimination Based on Genetic Information in Health Insurance Coverage and Group Health Plans 2008
- Toggle 1 FAA Chicago Midway International Airport 2006
- Toggle 1 EBSA Request for Information Regarding Lifetime Income Options for Participants and Beneficiaries in Retirement Plans 2010
- Toggle 1 SEC John Hancock Trust, et al.; Notice of Application 2007
- Toggle 1 IRS QUALIFIED STATE TUITION PROGRAMS 2008
- Toggle 1 EPA Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Greenhouse Gases Under the Clean Air Act 2008