Iowa State University
Iowa State University of Science and Technology, more commonly known as Iowa State University (ISU), is a public land-grant and space-grant research university located in Ames, Iowa, United States. Iowa State has produced astronauts, scientists, and Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winners, along with a host of other notable individuals in their respective fields. Until 1959 it was known as the Iowa State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts.
Campaign Finance$403,478 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Iowa State University
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Iowa State University $2,191,711
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Science & Technology,
- Aviation, Airlines & Airports,
- Food Industry,
- Economics & Econ Development
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.109 Tribal Parity Act H.J.RES.20 (Unknown) H.J.RES.20 Revised Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2007 H.R.3161 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2008 H.R.5384 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2007 S.1859 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2008 H.R.110 Rural America Protection Act of 2007 H.R.5647 Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2007 S.3708 Department of Education Appropriations Act, 2007 H.R.5441 Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 897 dockets; Submitted to 34 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Iowa State University" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Iowa State University
- Toggle 3 CSREES Recently Posted CSREES Rules and Notices. 2008
- Toggle 3 NIFA Administrative Guidance for Multistate Extension Activities and Integrated Research and Extension Activities 2010
- Toggle 2 HHS Group Health Plans and Health Insurance Issuers Relating to Coverage of Preventive Services under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2011
- Toggle 2 APHIS Agricultural Bioterrorism Protection Act of 2002; Biennial Review and Republication of the Select Agent and Toxin List 2007
- Toggle 2 DOT Special Rules for Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (Within-Perimeter Exemptions, i.e., Service to Another Airport 1,250 Miles Away or Less From Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport) 2000
- Toggle 2 EPA Endangered Species and Pesticide Regulation (The Comment Period Has Been Extended Until 3/2/03) See Document #OPP-2002-0010-0134 Below for a Copy of FR Notice Re: the Extension of the Comment Period 2003
- Toggle 2 FSIS Non-Ambulatory Disabled Veal Calves and Other Non-Ambulatory Disabled Livestock at Slaughter; Petitions for Rulemaking 2010
- Toggle 1 NHTSA Data Integrated Project Team (IPT) Report 2004
- Toggle 1 FDA Revise Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) Affirmation Regulation for High Fructose Corn Syrup to Recognize "Corn Sugar" as an Alternate Common or Usual Name for High Fructose Corn Syrup-CLOSED 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Product Tracing Systems for Food; Public Meeting 2009
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Iowa State University
- Toggle 290 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit Regulation and Effluent Limitations Guidelines and Standards for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). 2002
- Toggle 127 EPA CERCLA/EPCRA Administrative Reporting Exemption for Air Releases of Hazardous Substances from Animal Waste 2007
- Toggle 109 EPA Regulation of Fuels and Fuel Additives: Renewable Fuel Program 2005
- Toggle 67 EPA 2014 Standards for the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) Program 2013
- Toggle 66 EPA Request for Comment on Letters Seeking a Waiver of the Renewable Fuel Standard 2012
- Toggle 43 APHIS Regulatory Status of Alfalfa Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2007
- Toggle 41 COE Proposal to Reissue and Modify Nationwide Permits 2010
- Toggle 39 APHIS Environmental Assessment; Determination of Nonregulated Status of Sugar Beet Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2010
- Toggle 33 EPA Criteria and Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures 2008
- Toggle 32 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System - Regulations To Establish Requirements for Cooling Water Intake Structures at Phase II Existing Facilities 2002
|2010||$4,800,000||Iowa State University: New Vaccines to Fight Respiratory Disease and Central Nervous Disorders|
|2009||$3,000,000||Iowa State University: Iowa State University Iowa State Forensic Testing Lab|
|2010||$2,800,000||Iowa State University: Advanced Live, Virtual, and Constructive Training Systems|
|2010||$2,400,000||Iowa State University: Aircraft Evaluation Readiness Initiative|
|2010||$1,400,000||Iowa State University: Iowa State Forensic Testing Lab|
|2008||$1,192,000||University of Missouri, University of Nevada at Reno, Iowa State University, and University of Wisconsin: Food and Agriculture Policy Research Institute, lA, MO (includes $180K to continue a cooperative agreement with Univ. of WI relating to dairy policy and $150K to the Univ. of NNV-Reno relating to the marketing of commodities produced in the Western United States)|
|2008||$1,057,000||Kansas State University, Iowa State University, and University of Arkansas: Animal Science Food Safety Consortium, AR, IA, KS|
|2010||$1,000,000||Kansas State University, Iowa State University, and University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture: Animal Science Food Safety Consortium, AR, IA, KS|
|2009||$850,000||Iowa State University: Iowa State University for a research initiative to improve understanding of surface winds and their damaging effects|
|2009||$650,000||Iowa State University: Iowa State University Internet Scale Event & Attack Generation Environment|
Federal Spending116 grants; 43 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Iowa State University||2006||Energy, Department Of||MULTI-PROGRAM NATIONAL PHYSICAL RESEARCH INCLUDING RARE EARTHS AND USE OF AMES RESEARCH REACTOR||$19,011,981|
|Iowa State University||2005||Energy, Department Of||MULTI-PROGRAM NATIONAL PHYSICAL RESEARCH INCLUDING RARE EARTHS AND USE OF AMES RESEARCH REACTOR||$17,388,572|
|Iowa State University||2000||Energy, Department Of||MULTI-PROGRAM NATIONAL PHYSICAL RESEARCH INCLUDING RARE EARTHS AND USE OF AMES RESEARCH REACTOR||$14,755,819|
|Iowa State University||2004||Energy, Department Of||MULTI-PROGRAM NATIONAL PHYSICAL RESEARCH INCLUDING RARE EARTHS AND USE OF AMES RESEARCH REACTOR||$14,559,134|
|Iowa State University||2001||Energy, Department Of||MULTI-PROGRAM NATIONAL PHYSICAL RESEARCH INCLUDING RARE EARTHS AND USE OF AMES RESEARCH REACTOR||$14,496,452|
|Iowa State University||2002||Energy, Department Of||MULTI-PROGRAM NATIONAL PHYSICAL RESEARCH INCLUDING RARE EARTHS AND USE OF AMES RESEARCH REACTOR||$11,731,062|
|Iowa State University||2003||Energy, Department Of||MULTI-PROGRAM NATIONAL PHYSICAL RESEARCH INCLUDING RARE EARTHS AND USE OF AMES RESEARCH REACTOR||$11,021,244|
|Iowa State University||2003||Energy, Department Of||$11,021,244|
|Iowa State University||2011||National Institute Of Food And Agriculture||Agro-ecosystem Approach to Sustainable Biofuels Production via the Pyrolysis-Biochar Platform (AFRI-CAP)||$9,750,000|
|Iowa State University||2011||Education, Department Of||GRANT PROGRAM||$8,859,934|
Advisory Committees541 people on 127 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Iowa State University" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 477 people on 86 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 34 people on 17 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Humanities 10 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 7 people on 5 committees
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 6 people on 5 committees
- Toggle Department of Defense 4 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 3 people on 4 committees
- Toggle Department of Energy 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Arts 3 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 1 person on 1 committee