International Paper (NYSE: IP) is an American pulp and paper company, the largest such company in the world. It has approximately 51,500 employees, and it is headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee.
Some of this data may be out of date
State influence data from the National Institute on Money in State Politics changed in format and availability during the 2013-2014 election cycle. While we work to integrate their new style of data release, state-level campaign finance data for the 2014 cycle and beyond will be unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience, but heartily recommend trying out their snazzy new site at FollowTheMoney.org!
Campaign Finance$10,975,821 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of International Paper
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount International Paper $49,358,671
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Chemical Industry,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Clean Air & Water
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2454 American Clean Energy And Security Act of 2009 H.R.1799 Safe and Efficient Transportation Act of 2009 H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 H.R.2419 Farm Bill Extension Act of 2007 H.R.2 Repealing the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act H.R.62 International Tax Competitiveness Act of 2011 H.R.64 To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to prevent corporations from exploiting tax treaties to evade taxation of United States income. H.R.134 To amend the Internal Revenue Code to make permanent the credit for increasing research activities. H.R.516 Bring Jobs Back to America Act H.R.622 (Unknown)
RegulationsMentioned in 838 dockets; Submitted to 15 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "International Paper" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for International Paper
- Toggle 18 APHIS EA for Cold-Tolerant Genetically Engineered Eucalyptus 2007
- Toggle 5 AMS Paper Research, Promotion, Consumer Information Order 2013
- Toggle 3 APHIS ArborGen, LLC; Availability of an Environmental Assessment for Controlled Release of a Genetically Engineered Eucalyptus Hybrid 2008
- Toggle 2 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Security Holder Director Nominations 2003
- Toggle 1 NLRB Proposed Rules Governing Notification of Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act 2010
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Disclosure Regarding Nominating Committee Functions and Communications between Security Holders and Boards of Directors 2003
- Toggle 1 FMCSA Hours of Service of Drivers 2004
- Toggle 1 EPA Methyl Bromide 2005
- Toggle 1 OSHA Voluntary Protection Program Information 2011
- Toggle 1 DOT U.S. DOT/OST - Surface Transportation Reauthorization 2002
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for International Paper
- Toggle 71 EPA Preliminary 2006 Effluent Guidelines Program Plan 2004
- Toggle 68 EPA Industrial Combustion Coordinated Rulemaking FACA 2004
- Toggle 41 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Industrial/ Commercial, and Institutional Boilers and Process Heaters 2002
- Toggle 40 EPA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Identification of Non-Hazardous Secondary Materials That Are Solid Waste 2008
- Toggle 38 EPA Criteria and Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures 2008
- Toggle 38 EPA Pulp and Paper Sector Rule 2007
- Toggle 38 DOT 2007 U.S.-China Frequency Allocation Proceeding 2006
- Toggle 34 EPA Protection of Stratospheric Ozone: The 2008 Critical Use Exemption From the Phaseout of Methyl Bromide 2006
- Toggle 33 EPA Clean Air Transport Rule 2009
- Toggle 29 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants: Plywood and Composite Wood Products 2003
Federal Spending18 contracts; 3 loans
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|International Paper Company||2007||Veterans Affairs, Department Of||CMOP OPERATIONAL SUPPLIES||$3,999,987|
|International Paper Company||2010||Foreign Agricultural Service||Export Credit Guarantee Prgm; CCC underwrites credit extended by private US banks for purchases of US food and Ag products by foreign buyers.||$3,245,608|
|International Paper Company||2011||Foreign Agricultural Service||Export Credit Guarantee Prgm; CCC underwrites credit extended by private US banks for purchases of US food and Ag products by foreign buyers.||$2,913,398|
|International Paper Company||2013||Federal Aviation Administration||PAPER TYGER CHART PAPER PRINTING OF THE SECTIONAL, TERMINAL AND HELICOPTER CHART TAS::69 1301::TAS NA NA||$2,137,500|
|International Paper Company||2000||Federal Acquisition Service||$1,874,000|
|International Paper Company||2009||Federal Acquisition Service||DESCR N.A.||$1,793,282|
|International Paper Company||2008||Federal Acquisition Service||DESCR N.A.||$1,711,433|
|International Paper Company||2010||Foreign Agricultural Service||Export Credit Guarantee Prgm; CCC underwrites credit extended by private US banks for purchases of US food and Ag products by foreign buyers.||$1,671,650|
|International Paper Company||2007||Federal Acquisition Service||DESCR N.A.||$1,598,612|
|International Paper Company||2009||Federal Acquisition Service||DESCR N.A.||$1,532,698|
EPA Violations16 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|St Regis Paper Co Unilateral Admin Order (Cercla)||International Paper||2003||Cass Lake, Mn||$2,000,000|
|City Of Newburgh Et Al.||International Paper Company (+89 others)||2011||Newburgh, Ny||$12,764,875|
|West Site/Hows Corner Superfund Site||International Paper Co/St Regis Paper/Champion (+81 others)||2010||Plymouth, Me||$11,200,000|
|San Jacinto Waste Pits||International Paper Company (+1 others)||2010||Channelview, Tx||$7,000,000|
|Georgia-Pacific Consumer Products, Lp Et Al.||International Paper Company (+1 others)||2010||Milford, Nj||$5,600,000|
|Carolina Steel Drum Superfund Site||International Paper (+42 others)||2005||Rock Hill, Sc||$4,986,394|
|Lcp Holtrachem||International Paper Company (+1 others)||2008||Riegelwood, Nc||$4,506,363|
|Old Southington Landfill||International Paper (+85 others)||2009||Southington, Ct||$4,248,450|
|St. Regis Paper Consent Decree (Cercla)||International Paper (+3 others)||2010||Cass Lake, Mn||$3,662,975|
|Industrial Pollution Control (Ipc) (Cost Recovery Agmt)||International Paper Company (+236 others)||2003||Jackson, Ms||$3,440,369|
Advisory Committees14 people on 11 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "International Paper" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Commerce 5 people on 5 committees
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 6 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of Labor 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Office of the United States Trade Representative 1 person on 1 committee