Hunton & Williams
Founded in 1901, Hunton & Williams LLP is a US law firm that employs more than 900 lawyers. It has been called "one of the most well-connected legal and lobbying firms in DC." The firm was founded in Richmond, Virginia and has 17 other offices throughout the United States, Europe, and Asia. The firm expanded in Texas in 2007 by adding a group of almost 100 lawyers from the now-defunct Dallas firm, Jenkens & Gilchrist. In early 2011 the firm's controversial work for Bank of America and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce became public through a large disclosure of emails.
Campaign Finance$599,289 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying Carried Out by Hunton & Williams
Names of Lobbyists
Client Amount Energy Future Holdings Corp $580,000 Southern Co $570,000 FirstEnergy Corp $350,000 Acxiom Corp $280,000 Koch Industries Public Sector $270,000 CCS Alliance $260,000 CSX Corp $210,000 Foundation for Envir & Economic Progress $190,000 Gas Processors Assn $160,000 MidAmerican Energy $140,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Environment & Superfund,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Real Estate & Land Use,
- Computers & Information Tech,
- Homeland Security,
- Natural Resources
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.699 Department of Energy Carbon Capture and Sequestration Program Amendments Act of 2011 H.R.908 Full Implementation of the Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards Act H.R.910 Energy Tax Prevention Act of 2011 H.R.901 Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Security Authorization Act of 2011 S.275 Pipeline Transportation Safety Improvement Act of 2011 H.R.4348 Transportation Research and Innovative Technology Act of 2012
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Client Summary April 23, 2013 Cupron, Inc. Environmental Protection Agency FIFRA registration. View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 25 dockets; Submitted to 1 docket
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Hunton & Williams" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Hunton & Williams
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Hunton & Williams
- Toggle 8 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans; State of Colorado; Regional Haze State Implementation Plan 2011
- Toggle 3 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 2 COE USACE's Plan for Retrospective Review under E.O. 13563 2011
- Toggle 2 EPA Standards of Performance for Fossil-Fuel-Fired, Electric Utility, Industrial-Commercial-Institutional, and Small Industrial-Commercial-Institutional Steam Generating Unit 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry and FDA Staff: Commercially Distributed In Vitro Diagnostic Products Labeled for Research Use Only or Investigational Use Only: Frequently Asked Questions; Availability 2011
- Toggle 1 EPA Valuing Improved Water Quality in the Chesapeake Bay Using Stated Preference Methods 2012
- Toggle 1 CFTC Enhancing Protections Afforded Customers and Customer Funds Held by Futures Commission Merchants and Derivatives Clearing Organizations 2012
- Toggle 1 EPA Reconsideration of Portland Cement NESHAP and NSPS 2011
- Toggle 1 CFTC Definitions; Mixed Swaps; Security-Based Swap Agreement Recordkeeping 2012
- Toggle 1 SEC Further Definition of Swap, Security-Based Swap, and Security-Based Swap Agreement; Mixed Swaps; Security-Based Swap Agreement Recordkeeping 2011
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Hunton & Williams" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee