Hunton & Williams
Founded in 1901, Hunton & Williams LLP is a US law firm that employs more than 900 lawyers. It has been called "one of the most well-connected legal and lobbying firms in DC." The firm was founded in Richmond, Virginia and has 17 other offices throughout the United States, Europe, and Asia. The firm expanded in Texas in 2007 by adding a group of almost 100 lawyers from the now-defunct Dallas firm, Jenkens & Gilchrist. In early 2011 the firm's controversial work for Bank of America and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce became public through a large disclosure of emails.
Campaign Finance$546,978 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying Carried Out by Hunton & Williams
Names of Lobbyists
Client Amount Southern Co $1,140,000 Energy Future Holdings Corp $680,000 Gas Processors Assn $490,000 Americans for Affordable Climate Policy $410,000 FirstEnergy Corp $370,000 CCS Alliance $330,000 Koch Industries Public Sector $320,000 Acxiom Corp $310,000 Foundation for Envir & Economic Progress $250,000 American Electric Power $170,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Clean Air & Water,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Natural Resources,
- Real Estate & Land Use,
- Computers & Information Tech
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2454 American Clean Energy And Security Act of 2009 S.1733 Green Taxis Act of 2009 H.R.2221 Data Accountability and Trust Act H.R.3126 Consumer Financial Protection Agency Act of 2009 H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010 S.1490 Personal Data Privacy and Security Act of 2009 S.3217 Private Fund Investment Advisers Registration Act of 2010 H.R.2868 Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Act of 2009 H.R.5777 Building Effective Strategies To Promote Responsibility Accountability Choice Transparency Innovation Consumer Expectations and Safeguards Act S.2996 Continuing Chemical Facilities Antiterrorism Security Act of 2010
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Client Summary April 23, 2013 Cupron, Inc. Environmental Protection Agency FIFRA registration. View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 37 dockets; Submitted to 6 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Hunton & Williams" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Hunton & Williams
- Toggle 2 FDA Determine that Oxycodone Hydrochloride Extended Release Tablets, 10mg, 15mg, 20mg, 30mg, 40mg, 60 mg, and 80mg, of Perdue Pharma LP, Were Voluntarily Withdrawn for Reasons Other Than Safety or Effectiveness 2010
- Toggle 2 FDA Determine Whether Oxycotin 10mgs, 15 mgs, 20mgs, 30mgs, 40mgs, 60mgs, 80mgs, and 160mgs, Oxycotin Hydrochloride Extended-Release Tablets has Been Voluntarily Withdrawn or Withheld From Sale for Safety or Efficacy Reasons 2010
- Toggle 2 COE Proposed Suspension and Modification of Nationwide Permit 21 2009
- Toggle 1 FWS Interagency Cooperation Under the Endangered Species Act 2009
- Toggle 1 NHTSA Legal Interpretation - Part 30112 2009
- Toggle 1 IRS User Fees Relating to Enrollment and Preparer Tax Identification Numbers 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Hunton & Williams
- Toggle 6 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Coal- and Oil-fired Electric Utility Steam Generating Units 2009
- Toggle 3 EPA Amendments to the Protocol Gas Verification Program, and Minimum Competency Requirements for Air Emission Testing 2009
- Toggle 2 HHS Modifications to the HIPAA Privacy, Security, and Enforcement Rules Under the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act; Proposed Rule 2010
- Toggle 2 EPA Clean Air Transport Rule 2009
- Toggle 2 EPA Rulemaking for the Steam Electric Power Generating Effluent Limitations Guidelines 2009
- Toggle 2 EPA West Virginia-Proposed Determination to Prohibit, Restrict, or Deny the Specification, or the Use for Specification, of an Area as a Disposal Site; Spruce No. 1 Surface Mine, Logan County, West Virginia 2009
- Toggle 1 EPA Supplemental Guidance for SIP Submissions to Meet the Requirements for Section 110(a)(1) of the CAA for the SO2 NAAQS 2010
- Toggle 1 EPA Pesticides; Draft Guidance for Pesticide Registrants on Pesticide Drift Labeling 2009
- Toggle 1 FDA FDA set out its Views on the Applicability of the 30-Month Stay Provisions of the Hatch-Waxman Amendments to ANDAs That Were Pending at the Time That the Holder of an NDA for an old Antibiotic Submitted Patents to FDA for Listing in the Orange Book in Accordance with the QI Act 2009
- Toggle 1 EPA Oil and Natural Gas Systems Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule 2009
Advisory Committees4 people on 3 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Hunton & Williams" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Office of the United States Trade Representative 2 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of State 1 person on 1 committee