H&R; Block (NYSE: HRB) is a tax preparation company in the United States, claiming more than 22 million customers worldwide, with offices in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. The Kansas City-based company also offers banking, personal finance and business consulting services.
Campaign Finance$1,991,940 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of H&R Block
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount H&R Block $9,400,088
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Consumer Product Safety,
- Health Issues,
- Small Business
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010 H.R.3162 To prohibit the Secretary of Labor from implementing certain rules relating to employment of aliens described in section 101(a)(15)(H)(ii)(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, and for other purposes. H.R.3162 Public Safety Officer Family Health Benefits Act S.414 Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009 H.R.88 To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to change the deadline for income tax returns for calendar year taxpayers from the 15th of April to the first Monday in November. H.R.1069 To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide an election for unmarried, nonitemizing individuals to have their returns prepared by the Secretary of the Treasury, and for other purposes. H.R.3126 Consumer Financial Protection Agency Act of 2009 S.18 Small Business Paperwork Mandate Elimination Act S.19 American Liberty Restoration Act S.139 Equal Access to Tax Planning Act
RegulationsMentioned in 29 dockets; Submitted to 19 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "H&R Block" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for H&R Block
- Toggle 493 IRS Guidance to Revise Section 301.7216-3 2008
- Toggle 7 IRS Furnishing Identifying Number of Tax Return Preparer 2010
- Toggle 6 IRS User Fees: Registered Tax Return Preparer Competency Examination and Fingerprinting Participants, etc. 2011
- Toggle 3 IRS Tax Return Preparer Penalties Under Sections 6694 and 6695 2008
- Toggle 3 IRS Circular 230-Revisions to Section 10.34 2007
- Toggle 1 IRS Withholding Procedures Under Section 1441 for Certain Distributions to which Section 302 Applies 2007
- Toggle 1 IRS Regulations Governing Practice Before the Internal Revenue Service 2012
- Toggle 1 IRS Tax Return Preparer Penalties Under Section 6695 2011
- Toggle 1 IRS Shared Responsibility for Employers Regarding Health Coverage 2013
- Toggle 1 CFPB Request for Information on Consumer Financial Products and Services Offered to Servicemembers 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for H&R Block
- Toggle 828 IRS Guidance to Revise Section 301.7216-3 2008
- Toggle 22 IRS User Fees Relating to Enrollment and Preparer Tax Identification Numbers 2010
- Toggle 10 IRS Furnishing Identifying Number of Tax Return Preparer 2010
- Toggle 2 IRS Circular 230-Revisions to Section 10.34 2007
- Toggle 2 IRS User Fees: Registered Tax Return Preparer Competency Examination and Fingerprinting Participants, etc. 2011
- Toggle 2 IRS Tax Return Preparer Penalties Under Sections 6694 and 6695 2008
- Toggle 1 DOT Trans World Airlines, Inc. - Certificate - St. Louis, Missouri-Montreal, Canada 1995
- Toggle 1 HHS Planning and Establishment of State-Level Exchanges: Request for Comments Regarding Exchange-Related Provisions in Title I of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2010
- Toggle 1 DOT Trans World Airlines, Inc. - Certificate - St. Louis-Toronto, Canada 1995
- Toggle 1 OPM 2006 Nonforeign Area Cost-of-Living Allowance Survey Report: Alaska and Washington, DC, Areas 2008
Advisory Committees14 people on 9 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.