Highmark is a not for profit health insurance company based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. It is the largest health insurer in Pennsylvania, and through a purchase in 1996, the largest health insurer in West Virginia. As Highmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield, it primarily serves the 29 counties of western Pennsylvania. As Highmark Blue Shield is services all of Pennsylvania. There is also a presence in the border areas of eastern Ohio, and all of West Virginia through its subsidiary Mountain State Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Recently purchased a 40% stake in the largest health insurer in northeastern Pennsylvania as well, Blue Cross of North East Pennsylvania BCNEPA. It is currently one of the largest not-for-profit health insurers in the United States which owns several for-profit subsidiaries.
Campaign Finance$234,834 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Highmark Inc
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Highmark Inc $3,025,137
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1206 Access to Professional Health Insurance Advisors Act of 2011 H.R.371 Health Care Choice Act of 2011 H.R.2184 H.R.3162 Children's Health and Medicare Protection Act of 2007 S.1848 Trade and Globalization Adjustment Assistance Act of 2007 H.R.1213 To repeal mandatory funding provided to States in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to establish American Health Benefit Exchanges. H.R.3801 Trade Adjustment Assistance Improvement Act H.R.4757 Health Insurance Rate Authority Act of 2010 H.R.6331 Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act of 2008 S.3078 Health Insurance Rate Authority Act of 2010
RegulationsMentioned in 15 dockets; Submitted to 3 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Highmark Inc" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Highmark Inc
- Toggle 1 NLRB Proposed Rules Governing Notification of Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Medical Loss Ratios; Request for Comments Regarding Section 2718 of the Public Health Service Act 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Highmark Inc
- Toggle 3 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
- Toggle 2 CMS Administrative Simplification: Adoption of Operating Rules for Eligibility for a Health Plan and Health Care Claim Status Transactions 2011
- Toggle 1 FTC Granting of Request for Early Termination of the Waiting Period Under the Premerger Notification Rules 2008
- Toggle 1 FTC FTC FRDOC Temporary Docket Unknown
- Toggle 1 FDA Refrain From or Approving any Application for a 0.6 mg Oral Colchicine Tablet with a Proposed Indication Already Approve for Colcrys® That is not Submitted as an Appreviated New Drug Application - CLOSED 2010
- Toggle 1 FTC Granting of Requesting for Early Termination of the Waiting Period Under the Premerger Notification Rules 2007
- Toggle 1 CMS Payment Error Rate Measurement (PERM) Program 2010
- Toggle 1 EBSA Prohibiting Discrimination Based on Genetic Information in Health Insurance Coverage and Group Health Plans 2008
- Toggle 1 CMS Revisions to Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule, and Other Part B Payment Policies; Revisions to Payment Policies for Ambulance Services for CY 2008; and the Proposed Elimination of the E-Rx Exemption for Computer-Generated Faxes*** 2010
- Toggle 1 CMS Physicians Referrals to Health Care Entities With Which They Have Financial Relationships; Exceptions for Certain Electronic Prescribing and Electronic Health Records Arrangements 2010