Genzyme Corporation (NASDAQ: GENZ) is an American biotechnology company based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Genzyme is the world’s third-largest biotechnology company, employing more than 11,000 people around the world. The company has a presence in approximately 40 countries, including 17 manufacturing facilities and 9 genetic-testing laboratories, its products are sold in 90 countries. In 2007, Genzyme generated $3.8 billion in revenues with more than 25 products in the market. In 2006 and 2007 Genzyme was named one of Fortune Magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work for”. The company donated $83 million worth of products worldwide; in 2006, it made $11 million in cash donations. In 2005, Genzyme was awarded the National Medal of Technology, the highest level of honor awarded by the president of the United States to America’s leading innovators.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2010 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Genzyme Corp
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Genzyme Corp $6,269,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
- Science & Technology
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 H.R.1548 Pathway for Biosimilars Act S.515 Patent Reform Act of 2009 H.R.1260 Patent Reform Act of 2009 S.610 Patent Reform Act of 2009 S.301 Physician Payments Sunshine Act of 2009 H.R.3200 America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 H.R.3156 H.R.4872 Health Care and Education Affordability Reconciliation Act of 2010 H.R.3962 Affordable Health Care for America Act
RegulationsMentioned in 32 dockets; Submitted to 3 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Genzyme Corp" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Genzyme Corp
- Toggle 1 FDA Confirm that FDA Will Stay Approval of ANDA No. 90-040 for 30 Months from November 24, 2009 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Assay Development for Immunogenicity Testing of Therapeutic Proteins; Availability 2009
- Toggle 1 FDA Approval Pathway for Biosimilar and Interchangeable Biological Products; Public Hearing; Request for Comments 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Genzyme Corp
- Toggle 9 FDA Confirm that FDA Will Stay Approval of ANDA No. 90-040 for 30 Months from November 24, 2009 2010
- Toggle 5 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for MOZOBIL™ (plerixafor), U.S. Patent No. 5,583,131 2009
- Toggle 3 FDA To Issue a Written Decision Regarding Forfeiture of 180-day Exclusivity Rights for a Generic Version of Hectorol Injection - CLOSED 2010
- Toggle 2 CMS Quality Incentives in the End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Program 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Advancing the Development of Medical Products Used In the Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment of Neglected Tropical Diseases; Public Hearing 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA P950009/S008 BD Diagnostics BD FocalPoint™ GS Imaging System Approved 12/3/08 2009
- Toggle 1 FDA P080002 - The Female Health Co. FC2 Female Condom 2009
- Toggle 1 SEC Self-Regulatory Organizations; Proposed Rule Changes: NASDAQ OMX BX, Inc. 2010
- Toggle 1 SEC Self-Regulatory Organizations; Proposed Rule Changes: NASDAQ OMX PHLX, Inc. 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Advisory Committee, Workshops, and Conferences Notices Various Meetings Notices (eg., Task Force Meeting, etc.) 2009