General Mills, Inc. (NYSE: GIS) is an American Fortune 500 corporation, primarily concerned with food products, which is headquartered in Golden Valley, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis. The company markets many well-known brands, such as Betty Crocker, Yoplait, Colombo, Totinos, Jeno's, Pillsbury, Green Giant, Old El Paso, Häagen-Dazs, Cheerios, Lucky Charms and Wanchai Ferry. Their brand portfolio includes more than 100 leading U.S. brands and numerous category leaders around the world.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of General Mills
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount General Mills $2,420,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Food Industry,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Civil Rights & Civil Liberties,
- Computers & Information Tech,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.763 Safe and Efficient Transportation Act of 2011 H.R.2112 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012 H.R.1 Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011 H.R.7 Sportfishing and Recreational Boating Safety Act of 2012 H.R.1382 White House Conference on Food and Nutrition Act S.216 Food Safety Accountability Act of 2011 S.3124 Healthy Living Starts Early Act of 2010 S.3129 H.R.1397 Employment Non-Discrimination Act S.520 Volumetric Ethanol Excise Tax Credit Repeal Act
RegulationsMentioned in 51 dockets; Submitted to 5 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "General Mills" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for General Mills
- Toggle 3 FDA Agency Information Collection Activities; Proposed Collection; Comment Request; Experimental Study on Consumer Responses to Whole Grain Labeling Statements on Food Packages 2011
- Toggle 1 National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs: Nutrition Standards for All Foods Sold in School, as Required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 2011
- Toggle 1 FSIS Reducing Sodium in the Food Supply; Establishing Sodium Reduction Targets; Establishment of Dockets; Request for Comments, Data and Information 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Qualified Health Claim for Whole Grains and Reduced Risk of Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 2012
- Toggle 1 FDA Approaches to Reducing Sodium Consumption 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for General Mills
- Toggle 12 FDA Current Good Manufacturing Practice and Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls For Human Food 2011
- Toggle 4 FDA Agency Information Collection Activities; Proposed Collection; Comment Request; Experimental Study on Consumer Responses to Whole Grain Labeling Statements on Food Packages 2011
- Toggle 3 EPA Partial Approval and Partial Disapproval of Air Quality Implementation Plans; California; San Joaquin Valley; Reasonably Available Control Technology for Ozone 2011
- Toggle 3 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans, California 2007San Joaquin Valley 8-hour Ozone Plan and 2007 State Strategy 2011
- Toggle 3 FDA Qualified Health Claim for Whole Grains and Reduced Risk of Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 2012
- Toggle 3 National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs: Nutrition Standards for All Foods Sold in School, as Required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 2011
- Toggle 3 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans; State of Montana; State Implementation Plan and Regional Haze Federal Implementation Plan 2011
- Toggle 2 EPA NPDES - Reissuance of the Vessel General Permit for Discharges Incidental to the Normal Operation of Vessels (VGP) 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Agency Information Collection Activities; Proposed Collection; Comment Request; Experimental Study on Consumer Responses to Nutrition Facts Labels with Various Footnote Formats and Declaration of Amount of Added Sugars 2012
- Toggle 2 FDA Approaches to Reducing Sodium Consumption 2011
Advisory Committees3 people on 3 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "General Mills" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Office of the United States Trade Representative 1 person on 1 committee