General Mills, Inc. (NYSE: GIS) is an American Fortune 500 corporation, primarily concerned with food products, which is headquartered in Golden Valley, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis. The company markets many well-known brands, such as Betty Crocker, Yoplait, Colombo, Totinos, Jeno's, Pillsbury, Green Giant, Old El Paso, Häagen-Dazs, Cheerios, Lucky Charms and Wanchai Ferry. Their brand portfolio includes more than 100 leading U.S. brands and numerous category leaders around the world.
Campaign Finance$3,218,014 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of General Mills
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount General Mills $12,909,300 Alliance for American Advertising $175,000 Pillsbury Co $44,921
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Food Industry,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Health Issues,
- Consumer Product Safety,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.510 FDA Food Safety Modernization Act S.3124 Healthy Living Starts Early Act of 2010 H.R.1148 H.R.1799 Safe and Efficient Transportation Act of 2009 H.R.2419 Farm Bill Extension Act of 2007 S.654 Equity and Access for Podiatric Physicians Under Medicaid Act H.R.1224 Strengthening Physical Education Act of 2007 H.R.2045 PLAY Every Day Act H.R.2633 HeLP America Act S.100 Healthy Students Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 322 dockets; Submitted to 32 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "General Mills" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for General Mills
- Toggle 4 FDA Revision of Yogurt Standards 2000
- Toggle 4 USDA Task Force on Childhood Obesity 2010
- Toggle 3 FDA Agency Information Collection Activities; Proposed Collection; Comment Request; Experimental Study on Consumer Responses to Whole Grain Labeling Statements on Food Packages 2011
- Toggle 2 National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs: Nutrition Standards for All Foods Sold in School, as Required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Salt and Sodium; Petition to Revise the Regulatory Status of Salt and Establish Food Labeling Requirements Regarding Salt and Sodium; Public Hearing; Request for Comments 2007
- Toggle 1 USTR Section 301 EC Beef Hormones Dispute 2008
- Toggle 1 FDA Food Labeling; Gluten-Free Labeling of Foods 2005
- Toggle 1 AMS Notice of Meeting of the National Organic Standards Board Unknown
- Toggle 1 FNS Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC): Revisions in the WIC Food Packages 2006
- Toggle 1 APHIS Introduction of Organisms and Products Altered or Produced Through Genetic Engineering 2006
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for General Mills
- Toggle 23 FDA Plant Protein Products 1975
- Toggle 14 USDA Task Force on Childhood Obesity 2010
- Toggle 14 FDA Current Good Manufacturing Practice and Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls For Human Food 2011
- Toggle 12 EPA Rulemaking for the Steam Electric Power Generating Effluent Limitations Guidelines 2009
- Toggle 11 FDA Qualified Health Claim for Whole Grains and Reduced Risk of Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 2012
- Toggle 11 FDA Food Labeling: Health Claims; Dietary Guidance 2003
- Toggle 9 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Industrial/ Commercial, and Institutional Boilers and Process Heaters 2002
- Toggle 8 FDA Implied Nutrient Content Claim 'Healthy' & Health Claims 1995
- Toggle 7 EPA Criteria and Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures 2008
- Toggle 7 FDA Revision of Yogurt Standards 2000
Federal Spending75 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|General Mills Inc||2007||RESALE||$59,485,399|
|General Mills Inc||2005||$37,195,878|
|General Mills Inc||2005||$35,871,708|
|General Mills Inc||2009||RESALE - DRY GROCERY||$33,675,488|
|General Mills Inc||2007||RESALE||$32,830,837|
|General Mills Inc||2009||RESALE - DRY GROCERY||$32,209,493|
|General Mills Inc||2008||RESALE - DRY GROCERY||$30,706,763|
|General Mills Inc||2006||$30,489,659|
|General Mills Inc||2009||RESALE - DRY GROCERY||$30,351,805|
|General Mills Inc||2006||$27,647,181|
EPA Violations4 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Sauget Area 2 Unilateral Admin Order (Cercla)||Pillsbury Co (+76 others)||2002||Sauget, Il||$26,500,000|
|Lorentz Barrel And Drum||General Mills Inc. (+7 others)||2004||San Jose, Ca||$4,200,000|
|Nl Industries/Taracorp Lead Smelter (De Minimis)||General Mills, Inc./The Pillsbury Company (+77 others)||2004||Granite City, Il||$1,960,888|
|Pcb Treatment, Inc.||Pillsbury Company (+381 others)||2004||Kansas City, Ks; ...||$1,916,377|
Advisory Committees14 people on 13 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "General Mills" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 8 people on 6 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle National Science Foundation 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Office of the United States Trade Representative 1 person on 1 committee