Florida Power & Light
Florida Power & Light Company, the principal subsidiary of NextEra Energy (formerly FPL Group, Inc.), commonly referred to by its initials, FPL, is a Juno Beach, Florida-based power utility which serves roughly 4.4 million customers in Florida. FPL Group holds power generation assets in more than 20 U.S. states.
Campaign Finance$17,327,182 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Florida Power & Light
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Florida Power & Light $20,880,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Hazardous & Solid Waste,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Natural Resources,
- Real Estate & Land Use,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.6 Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 H.R.2776 Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Tax Act of 2007 H.R.197 H.R.6049 Energy and Tax Extenders Act of 2008 H.R.2454 American Clean Energy And Security Act of 2009 H.R.3221 Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2008 H.R.3231 H.R.5351 Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Tax Act of 2008 S.37 Nuclear Waste Access to Yucca Act H.R.1424 Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 516 dockets; Submitted to 11 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Florida Power & Light" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Florida Power & Light
- Toggle 2 FMCSA Hours of Service of Drivers 2004
- Toggle 2 DOE Implementing the National Broadband Plan 2010
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Florida Power & Light Company - Exemption - Hazardous Materials - Transportation in Commerce of Two Class 7 Nuclear Reactor Heads in Alternative Packaging 2005
- Toggle 1 DOE Policy and Logistical Challenges to Smart Grid Implementation 2010
- Toggle 1 NRC Decommissioning Planning 2008
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Hazardous Materials in Intrastate Commerce 1987
- Toggle 1 MMS AD30 - Alternative Energy and Alternate Uses of Existing Facilities on the OCS. 2008
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Florida Power & Light Company - Exemption - Hazardous Materials - To Authorize the Transportation in Commerce of Two Nuclear Reactor Heads in Alternative Packaging 2005
- Toggle 1 MMS 1010-NEW, Information Collection Comment Request; Form MMS-0001, Lease of Submerged Lands for Alternative Energy Activities on the OCS. 2007
- Toggle 1 TSA Large Aircraft Security Program, Other Aircraft Operator Security Program, and Airport Operator Security Program 2008
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Florida Power & Light
- Toggle 15 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System - Regulations To Establish Requirements for Cooling Water Intake Structures at Phase II Existing Facilities 2002
- Toggle 14 EPA Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program: Federal Requirements for Class VI Injection Wells for the Geologic Sequestration of Carbon Dioxide - Proposed Rule 2008
- Toggle 13 NRC Notice of Receipt and Availability of Application for a Combined License 2009
- Toggle 8 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Utility Air Toxics; Clean Air Mercury Rule (CAMR) 2002
- Toggle 8 NRC AP1000 Design Certification Amendment 2010
- Toggle 8 EPA Rule to Reduce Interstate Transport of Fine Particulate Matter and Ozone ;Clean Air Interstate Rule, (CAIR) 2003
- Toggle 6 EPA Criteria and Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures 2008
- Toggle 6 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Coal- and Oil-fired Electric Utility Steam Generating Units 2009
- Toggle 6 FMCSA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) - Hours of Service of Drivers 1997
- Toggle 5 EPA Florida Regional Haze 2010
Federal Spending1 grant; 5 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Florida Power & Light Company||2004||$18,181,442|
|Florida Power & Light Company||2002||$16,516,055|
|Florida Power & Light Company||2001||$7,637,671|
|Florida Power & Light Company||2010||Energy, Department Of||TAS::89 0328::TAS RECOVERY - NEW AWARD TO FLORIDA POWER & LIGHTING COMPANY. RECOVERY ACT - WORKFORCE TRAINING FOR THE ELECTRIC POWER SECTOR. AWARD I||$5,000,000|
|Florida Power & Light Company||2011||FY 2020 FUNDING||$3,300,000|
|Florida Power & Light Company||2000||Veterans Affairs, Department Of||$1,559,000|
EPA Violations2 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Sanford Gasification Plant Site (Ous 1, 2, And 3)||Florida Power & Light Company (+4 others)||2009||Sanford, Fl||$13,363,224|
|Florida Petroleum Reprocessors||Florida Power & Light (+583 others)||2004||Fort Lauderdale, Fl||$2,316,314|