FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE), is a diversified energy company headquartered in Akron, Ohio. Its subsidiaries and affiliates are involved in the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity, as well as energy management and other energy-related services. Its seven electric utility operating companies comprise the nation’s fifth largest investor-owned electric system, based on serving 4.5 million customers within a 36,100-square-mile (93,000 km2) area of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey; and its generation subsidiaries control more than 14,000 megawatts of capacity. In 2007, FirstEnergy ranked 212 on the Fortune 500 list of the largest public corporations in America.
Some of this data may be out of date
State influence data from the National Institute on Money in State Politics changed in format and availability during the 2013-2014 election cycle. While we work to integrate their new style of data release, state-level campaign finance data for the 2014 cycle and beyond will be unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience, but heartily recommend trying out their snazzy new site at FollowTheMoney.org!
Campaign Finance$12,376,167 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of FirstEnergy Corp
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount FirstEnergy Corp $30,427,593 GPU Inc $817,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Homeland Security,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2454 American Clean Energy And Security Act of 2009 S.2191 America's Climate Security Act of 2007 S.1733 Green Taxis Act of 2009 H.R.6 Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 H.R.5386 Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2007 S.1462 American Clean Energy Leadership Act of 2009 H.R.1666 Safe Markets Development Act of 2009 S.787 Clean Water Restoration Act H.R.4173 Prevent Iran from Acquiring Nuclear Weapons and Stop War Through Diplomacy Act
RegulationsMentioned in 194 dockets; Submitted to 8 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "FirstEnergy Corp" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for FirstEnergy Corp
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Electronic Recordkeeping by Public Utility Holding Companies 2001
- Toggle 1 SEC Roadmap for the Potential Use of Financial Statements Prepared in Accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards by U.S. Issuers 2008
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on: Advisory Committee on Improvements to Financial Reporting 2006
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Revised Transfer Agent Form and Related Rule 1999
- Toggle 1 DOT Air Transport Association of America, Inc. - Petition for Rulemaking 2001
- Toggle 1 SEC Notice of Solicitation of Public Comment on Consideration of Incorporating IFRS Into the Financial Reporting System for U.S. Issuers 2010
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on Interactive Data to Improve Financial Reporting 2008
- Toggle 1 FWS Eastern Small-footed Bat and Northern Long-eared Bat 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for FirstEnergy Corp
- Toggle 26 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Coal- and Oil-fired Electric Utility Steam Generating Units 2009
- Toggle 21 EPA Clean Air Transport Rule 2009
- Toggle 16 EPA Definition of "Waters of the United States" Under the Clean Water Act 2011
- Toggle 11 EPA Final Rule To Implement the 8-Hour Ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standard 2003
- Toggle 9 EPA Criteria and Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures 2008
- Toggle 9 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Utility Air Toxics; Clean Air Mercury Rule (CAMR) 2002
- Toggle 9 EPA Standards of Performance for Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Existing Sources: Electric Utility Generating Units 2013
- Toggle 8 EPA HAZARDOUS AND SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM; IDENTIFICATION AND LISTING OF SPECIAL WASTES; DISPOSAL OF COAL COMBUSTION RESIDUALS FROM ELECTRIC UTILITIES 2009
- Toggle 7 EPA Rule to Reduce Interstate Transport of Fine Particulate Matter and Ozone ;Clean Air Interstate Rule, (CAIR) 2003
- Toggle 6 EPA Standards of Performance for Fossil-Fuel-Fired, Electric Utility, Industrial-Commercial-Institutional, and Small Industrial-Commercial-Institutional Steam Generating Unit 2011
Federal Spending1 contract
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Firstenergy Corporation||2007||Public Buildings Service||CHILLER PLANT, STOKES CTHSE, CLEVELAND, OHIO||$2,096,167|
Advisory Committees1 person on 2 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "FirstEnergy Corp" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 2 committees