The Exxon Mobil Corporation, or ExxonMobil, is an American multinational oil and gas corporation. It is a direct descendant of John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil company, and was formed on November 30, 1999, by the merger of Exxon and Mobil. Its headquarters are in Irving, Texas.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2013. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Exxon Mobil
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Exxon Mobil $25,700,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Government Issues,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Natural Resources,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.910 Energy Tax Prevention Act of 2011 S.482 Energy Tax Prevention Act of 2011 S.940 Close Big Oil Tax Loopholes Act S.953 Offshore Production and Safety Act of 2011 H.R.601 End Big Oil Tax Subsidies Act of 2011 S.2204 Repeal Big Oil Tax Subsidies Act H.R.908 Full Implementation of the Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards Act H.R.2021 Jobs and Energy Permitting Act of 2011 S.258 Close Big Oil Tax Loopholes Act H.R.56 Gulf Coast Restoration Act
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Registrant Summary June 26, 2014 Capitol Counsel Energy and environmental policy issues; natural resource development and taxation View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 272 dockets; Submitted to 4 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Exxon Mobil" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Exxon Mobil
- Toggle 2 BLM Notice of Proposed Rule: Oil and Gas; Well Stimulation, Including Hydraulic Fracturing, on Federal and Indian Lands 43 CFR 3160 2012
- Toggle 1 BOEM AD-73 Oil and Gas and Sulphur Operations in the Outer Continental Shelf—Revisions to Safety and Environmental Management Systems 2011
- Toggle 1 USCG 60-Day Notice Requesting Comments 2011
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Exxon Mobil Special Permit Request - Pipeline Safety 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Exxon Mobil
- Toggle 59 EPA Control of Air Pollution From New Motor Vehicles: Tier 3 Motor Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards 2011
- Toggle 22 EPA Air Quality Designations and Classifications for the 2010 SO2 Standards 2012
- Toggle 17 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans; State of Montana; State Implementation Plan and Regional Haze Federal Implementation Plan 2011
- Toggle 12 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 11 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutant Emissions: Group IV Polymers and Resins, Pesticide Active Ingredient Production, and Polyether Polyols Production Risk and Technology Review 2011
- Toggle 9 EPA NPDES - Reissuance of the Vessel General Permit for Discharges Incidental to the Normal Operation of Vessels (VGP) 2011
- Toggle 9 BLM Notice of Proposed Rule: Oil and Gas; Well Stimulation, Including Hydraulic Fracturing, on Federal and Indian Lands 43 CFR 3160 2012
- Toggle 7 NHTSA Environmental Impact Statement for Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)Standards, Model Years 2017-2025 2011
- Toggle 6 BOEM ExxonMobil R-5296 Revised Exploration Plan 2011
- Toggle 6 PHMSA Exxon Mobil Special Permit Request - Pipeline Safety 2011
Federal Spending15 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Exxon Mobil Corporation||2012||AWARD F76 CLIN 0101 FOR 71,185,000 BY PIPELINE CLIN 0201 FOR 20,740,000 BY TANKER||$226,478,656|
|Exxon Mobil Corporation||2012||INLAND EAST GULF CONTRACT FOR TURBINE FUEL, AVIATION JP8/JAA.||$107,226,896|
|Exxon Mobil Corporation||2012||EXTEND THE ORDERING AND DELIVERY PERIODS TO AUG 31, 2012 PLUS A 30-DAY CARRYOVER PERIOD FOR DELIVERY (SEP 30, 2012). ADD ADDITIONAL VOLUME TO CLIN 0101 - 37,800,000 USG OF JP8 AND CLIN 0201 - 11,000,000 USG OF JAA. THE TOTAL ESTIMATED DOLLAR VALUE OF CONTRACT IS INCREASED TO $185,856,828.33.||$78,629,932|
|Exxon Mobil Corporation||2011||JP5&JP8||$69,664,288|
|Exxon Mobil Corporation||2011||NAVAL DISTILLATE, F76, FOB ORIGIN PIPELINE EX TORRANCE, CA||$50,663,933|
|Exxon Mobil Corporation||2011||TURBINE FUEL, AVIATION JP-8 SOLICITATION SP0600-10-R-0061-0001.||$46,252,115|
|Exxon Mobil Corporation||2012||THIS CONTRACT IS FOR THE DELIVERY OF JP5 TO VARIOUS LOCATIONS.||$42,886,355|
|Exxon Mobil Corporation||2012||TURBINE FUEL, AVIATION, JP8 FOB ORIGIN TANKER EX BATON ROUGE, LA||$32,300,562|
|Exxon Mobil Corporation||2011||URGENT AND COMPELLING SUPPLEMENTAL CONTRACT AWARD AGAINST SOLICITATION SP0600-10-R-0061-0002. AWARD OF 14,000,000 USG FOB ORIGIN DELIVERY EX BATON ROUGE, LA.||$29,663,452|
|Exxon Mobil Corporation||2011||EXERCISE AN OPTION IAW CLAUSES I209.09 AND I209.10.||$27,184,780|
Contractor Misconduct5 Instances
This information is collected by the Project On Government Oversight from press releases, court documents, news reports and other public records. It is not meant to be an exhaustive account of all instances of federal contractor misconduct.
More information on each instance, including primary source documents, is available on POGO's site by clicking on the instance description. More information on POGO's methodology is available here.
|Misconduct Type||Hired By||Incident||Year||Disposition||Penalty|
|Health||None||Minton v. BP Products North America, et al. (Asbestos Exposure)||2011||Judgment Against Defendant||$25,361,928|
|Environment||None||Breaches of EU Emissions Trading Scheme in Scotland||2012||Fine||$4,369,059|
|Environment||None||July 2011 Silvertip Pipeline Spill||2012||Settlement||$2,360,391|
|Labor||None||Baton Rouge Refinery OSHA Violations||2011||Fine||$126,600|
|Environment||None||Yellowstone River Oil Spill Lawsuit||2011||Pending||$0|
EPA Violations3 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Phelps Dodge Refining Corporation Et Al.||ExxonMobil Oil Corporation (+5 others)||2011||Brooklyn, Queens, Ny||$25,750,000|
|Operating Industries Inc Superfund Site Admin Settlement No.2010-04||Exxon Mobil Corporation (+275 others)||2011||Monterey Park, Ca||$8,500,000|
|Many Diversified Interest||Exxon Mobil Corporation (+9 others)||2011||Houston, Tx||$1,750,000|
Advisory Committees11 people on 11 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Exxon Mobil" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Commerce 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of Energy 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of State 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle National Science Foundation 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Homeland Security 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 1 committee