Environmental Defense Fund
Environmental Defense Fund or EDF (formerly known as Environmental Defense) is a United States–based nonprofit environmental advocacy group. The group is known for its work on issues including global warming, ecosystem restoration, oceans, and human health. It is nonpartisan, and its work often advocates market-based solutions to environmental problems.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Environmental Defense Fund
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Environmental Defense Action Fund $3,157,000 Environmental Defense Fund $406,000 Ocean Champions $60,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Environment & Superfund,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Marine, Boats & Fisheries,
- Natural Resources,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Real Estate & Land Use,
- Health Issues
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3096 Resources and Ecosystems Sustainability, Tourist Opportunities, and Revived Economies of the Gulf Coast States Act of 2011 S.1400 Resources and Ecosystems Sustainability, Tourist Opportunities, and Revived Economies of the Gulf Coast States Act of 2011 H.R.2304 Fishery Science Improvement Act of 2011 H.R.2772 Saving Fishing Jobs Act of 2011 H.R.2596 Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012 S.1572 Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012 H.R.5326 Department of Justice Appropriations Act, 2013 S.2323 Science Appropriations Act, 2013 H.R.1473 Department of Defense and Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011 H.R.1 Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 197 dockets; Submitted to 15 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Environmental Defense Fund" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Environmental Defense Fund
- Toggle 3 NHTSA Environmental Impact Statement for Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)Standards, Model Years 2017-2025 2011
- Toggle 2 BLM Notice of Proposed Rule: Oil and Gas; Well Stimulation, Including Hydraulic Fracturing, on Federal and Indian Lands 43 CFR 3160 2012
- Toggle 1 FAA Proposed Provision of Navigation Services for the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) Transition to Performance-Based Navigation (PPN) 2011
- Toggle 1 FWS Incentivizing Voluntary Conservation Actions under the Endangered Species Act 2011
- Toggle 1 CFPB Regulation Z; Truth in Lending 2012
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Pipeline Safety: Safety of Gas Transmission Pipelines 2011
- Toggle 1 NOAA Revision of the National Standard 1 Guidelines 2012
- Toggle 1 NOAA Confidentiality of Information; Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Reauthorization Act 2012
- Toggle 1 BOEM Potential Commercial Leasing for Wind Power on the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Offshore New York, Request for Interest 2012
- Toggle 1 NOAA High Seas Driftnet Fishing Moratorium Protection Act; Identification and Certification Procedures to Address Shark Conservation 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Environmental Defense Fund
- Toggle 56 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 18 EPA Standards of Performance for Fossil-Fuel-Fired, Electric Utility, Industrial-Commercial-Institutional, and Small Industrial-Commercial-Institutional Steam Generating Unit 2011
- Toggle 16 NHTSA Environmental Impact Statement for Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)Standards, Model Years 2017-2025 2011
- Toggle 16 FWS Lesser Prairie-Chicken, Proposed Threatened Status 2012
- Toggle 13 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans; State of Colorado; Regional Haze State Implementation Plan 2011
- Toggle 13 FDA Reconsider and Revoke the Orphan Drug Designation Granted to GeNO on June 18, 2012 for Nitric Oxide 2012
- Toggle 12 Control of Air Pollution From New Motor Vehicles: Tier 3 Motor Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards 2011
- Toggle 10 EPA California Air Resources Board Request for Waiver of Preemption for Low Emission Vehicle and Zero Emission Vehicle Regulations (“Advance Clean Car Program”) 2012
- Toggle 9 EPA Gulf of Mexico Regional Ecosystem Restoration Strategy (Preliminary) 2011
- Toggle 8 EPA Proposed Consent Decree in WildEarth Guardians, et al. v. Jackson, No. 1:11-cv-0001-CMA-MEH (D. CO) and consolidated case (No. 11-cv-00743-CMA-MEH) 2011
Advisory Committees9 people on 11 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Environmental Defense Fund" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 5 people on 5 committees
- Toggle Department of Defense 1 person on 2 committees
- Toggle Office of the United States Trade Representative 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 1 person on 1 committee