Distilled Spirits Council
The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS) is the national trade association representing producers and marketers of distilled spirits sold in the United States. In 1973, DISCUS was formed by the merger of three organizations (the Bourbon Institute, the Distilled Spirits Institute, and the Licensed Beverage Industries, Inc.) that had been in existence for decades.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Distilled Spirits Council
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Distilled Spirits Council $8,770,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Alcohol & Drug Abuse,
- Food Industry,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Clean Air & Water
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1161 Community Alcohol Regulatory Effectiveness Act of 2011 S.510 Research of Alcohol Detection Systems for Stopping Alcohol-related Fatalities Everywhere Act of 2011 H.R.777 Small Distillery Excise Tax Act of 2011 H.R.1236 Small BREW Act S.273 Drunk Driving Repeat Offender Prevention Act of 2011 S.534 Brewer's Employment and Excise Relief Act of 2011 H.R.2129 Drunk Driving Repeat Offender Prevention Act of 2011 H.R.2324 Research of Alcohol Detection Systems for Stopping Alcohol-related Fatalities Everywhere Act of 2011 S.1789 21st Century Postal Service Act of 2011 H.R.674 3% Withholding Repeal and Job Creation Act
RegulationsMentioned in 5 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Distilled Spirits Council" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Distilled Spirits Council
- Toggle 1 USTR All Other Measures ( including National Trade Estimate Report ) 2011
- Toggle 1 TTB Revisions to Distilled Spirits Plant Operations Reports and Regulations 2011
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for comments on SPS Measures 2012
- Toggle 1 IRS Taxable Medical Devices 2012
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Public Comments To Compile the National Trade Estimate Report on Foreign Trade Barriers 2012