Distilled Spirits Council
The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS) is the national trade association representing producers and marketers of distilled spirits sold in the United States. In 1973, DISCUS was formed by the merger of three organizations (the Bourbon Institute, the Distilled Spirits Institute, and the Licensed Beverage Industries, Inc.) that had been in existence for decades.
Campaign Finance$4,142,115 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Distilled Spirits Council
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Distilled Spirits Council $54,339,463
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Alcohol & Drug Abuse,
- Food Industry,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Health Issues
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.510 FDA Food Safety Modernization Act S.510 Research of Alcohol Detection Systems for Stopping Alcohol-related Fatalities Everywhere Act of 2011 H.R.1161 Community Alcohol Regulatory Effectiveness Act of 2011 H.R.759 Food and Drug Administration Globalization Act of 2009 H.R.2488 H.R.1028 Support 21 Act of 2009 H.R.275 H.R.777 Small Distillery Excise Tax Act of 2011 H.R.1236 Small BREW Act H.R.2355 Making Opportunities Via Efficient and More Effective National Transportation Act of 2009
RegulationsMentioned in 89 dockets; Submitted to 43 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Distilled Spirits Council" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Distilled Spirits Council
- Toggle 2 TTB Revisions to Distilled Spirits Plant Operations Reports and Regulations 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Disclosure of Nutrient Content Information for Standard Menu Items Offered for Sale at Chain Restaurants or Similar Retail Food Establishments and for Articles of Food Sold from Vending Machines 2010
- Toggle 2 PHMSA Hazardous Materials: Revision of Requirements for Carriage by Aircraft 2002
- Toggle 2 PHMSA Improvements to Harzardous Materials Identification Systems 1992
- Toggle 2 OSHA HAZARD COMMUNICATION 2006
- Toggle 2 TTB Disclosure of Cochineal Extract and Carmine in the Labeling of Wines, Distilled Spirits, and Malt Beverages 2010
- Toggle 2 TTB Labeling and Advertising of Wines, Distilled Spirits and Malt Beverages (Serving Facts Labeling) 2007
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments Concerning Free Trade Agreement With the Republic of Colombia 2009
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments Concerning Free Trade Agreement With the Republic of Korea 2009
- Toggle 1 FMCSA Security and Hazardous Materials Requirements 2002
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Distilled Spirits Council
- Toggle 9 FDA Qualified Health Claim for Whole Grains and Reduced Risk of Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 2012
- Toggle 4 TTB Revision of the Distilled Spirits Plant Regulations 2008
- Toggle 4 TTB Disclosure of Cochineal Extract and Carmine in the Labeling of Wines, Distilled Spirits, and Malt Beverages 2010
- Toggle 4 TTB Labeling and Advertising of Wines, Distilled Spirits and Malt Beverages (Serving Facts Labeling) 2007
- Toggle 3 TTB Revisions to Distilled Spirits Plant Operations Reports and Regulations 2011
- Toggle 3 FDA Implied Nutrient Content Claim 'Healthy' & Health Claims 1995
- Toggle 3 PHMSA Hazardous Materials: Revision of Requirements for Carriage by Aircraft 2002
- Toggle 3 USTR Request for Comments on Japan’s Expression of Interest in the Proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership Trade Agreement 2011
- Toggle 2 PHMSA Applicability of Hazardous Materials Regulations to Loading, Unloading and Storage 1998
- Toggle 2 FDA Food Labeling; Nutrition Labeling of Standard Menu Items in Restaurants and Similar Retail Food Establishments 2011
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Distilled Spirits Council" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 1 committee