Discover Financial Services
Discover Financial Services is an American financial services company, which issues the Discover Card and operates the Discover and Pulse networks. Discover Card is the third largest credit card brand in the United States, when measured by cards in force, with nearly 50 million cardholders.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Discover Financial Services
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Discover Financial Services $3,370,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1121 Responsible Consumer Financial Protection Regulations Act of 2011 H.R.1315 Consumer Financial Protection Safety and Soundness Improvement Act of 2011 S.1102 Fairness for Struggling Students Act of 2011 H.R.1249 America Invents Act H.R.1667 Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection Transfer Clarification Act H.R.2577 SAFE Data Act H.R.4014 To amend the Federal Deposit Insurance Act with respect to information provided to the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection. S.575 Debit Interchange Fee Study Act of 2011 H.R.2028 Private Student Loan Bankruptcy Fairness Act of 2011 S.1151 Personal Data Privacy and Security Act of 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 11 dockets; Submitted to 1 docket
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Discover Financial Services" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Discover Financial Services
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Discover Financial Services
- Toggle 3 CFPB Request for Information Regarding Private Education Loans and Private Educational Lenders 2011
- Toggle 2 CFPB Request for Information Regarding Scope, Methods, and Data Sources for Conducting Study of Pre-Dispute Arbitration Agreements 2012
- Toggle 1 FRS Debit Card Interchange Fees and Routing 2012
- Toggle 1 PRC Product List Updates 2012
- Toggle 1 CFPB Request for Information on Effective Financial Education 2012
- Toggle 1 PRC Product List Update 2011
- Toggle 1 FRS Debit Card Interchange Fees and Routing 2011
- Toggle 1 PRC Discover Financial Services Negotiated Service Agreement 2011
- Toggle 1 NRC Environmental Assessment and Finding of No Significant Impact 2011
- Toggle 1 NRC Sunshine Act Meetings in CY 2011 2011