Covington & Burling
Covington & Burling LLP is an international law firm with offices in Beijing, Brussels, London, New York, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, San Diego, and Washington, DC. The firm advises multinational corporations on significant transactional, litigation, regulatory, and public policy matters. Covington & Burling LLP consistently ranks among the top 20 on The American Lawyer’s prestigious "A-List", based on financial performance, pro bono activity, associate satisfaction, and diversity. The firm has an overall prestige ranking of 9 by Vault.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying Carried Out by Covington & Burling
Names of Lobbyists
Client Amount Qualcomm Inc $3,310,000 American Shareholders in Yukos $1,230,000 Kosmos Energy $1,140,000 Pharmaceutical Rsrch & Mfrs of America $984,000 National Football League $955,000 BP America $870,000 BP America $870,000 Western Conf of Teamsters Pension Trust $860,000 American Task Force Argentina $630,000 John Hancock Financial Services $580,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Foreign Relations,
- Health Issues,
- Radio & TV Broadcasting,
- Government Issues,
- Law Enforcement & Crime
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1260 Support for Survivors Act S.515 A bill to rescind amounts made available for water treatment improvements for the Flathead County Water and Sewer District and make the amounts available for Federal deficit reduction. H.R.3179 Marketplace Equity Act of 2011 S.1101 Provider Tax Administrative Simplification Act of 2011 S.1832 Marketplace Fairness Act H.R.7 Sportfishing and Recreational Boating Safety Act of 2012 H.R.4348 Transportation Research and Innovative Technology Act of 2012 S.1551 Medicare Common Access Card Act of 2011 S.1813 MAP-21 H.R.4912 To suspend temporarily the duty on motor generator units.
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Client Summary April 22, 2013 Eli Lilly & Co Trade compliance issues related to Canadas patentability requirements. View registration April 22, 2013 First Wind Advocate policies that would promote and develop utility-scale wind power projects in the United States. View registration April 22, 2013 Americans for Responsible Solutions Advocate for gun-safety legislation. View registration March 1, 2013 CMA CGM and China Merchants Holdings International (an informal coalition) Investment by China Merchants Holdings International in Terminal Link SAS. View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 45 dockets; Submitted to 10 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Covington & Burling" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Covington & Burling
- Toggle 2 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Proposal to Refuse to Approve a Supplemental New Drug Application for Bromday (Bromfenac Ophthalmic Solution), 0.09%; Opportunity for a Hearing 2011
- Toggle 2 OCC Regulatory Capital Rules (Part II): Standardized Approach for Risk-weighted Assets; Market Discipline and Disclosure Requirements 2012
- Toggle 2 OCC Regulatory Capital Rules (Part I): Regulatory Capital, Minimum Regulatory Capital Ratios, Capital Adequacy, Transition Provisions 2012
- Toggle 1 PHMSA The Procter & Gamble Company - Permit to Transport Hazardous Materials 2011
- Toggle 1 USTR Generalized System of Preferences (GSP): Notice of Initiation of the 2012 Annual GSP Product and Country Practices Review; Deadlines for Filing Petitions 2012
- Toggle 1 TREAS Determination of Foreign Exchange Swaps and Foreign Exchange Forwards Under the Commodity Exchange Act 2011
- Toggle 1 IRS Swap Exclusion for Section 1256 Contracts 2011
- Toggle 1 IRS Basis Reporting by Securities Brokers and Basis Determination for Debt Instruments and Options 2011
- Toggle 1 IRS Local Lodging Expenses 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Covington & Burling
- Toggle 5 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for HALAVEN™(eribulin mesylate), U.S. Patent No. 6,214,865 2011
- Toggle 4 FDA Refrain From Granting Tentative or Final Approval of any ANDA for Bromfenac Ophthalmic Solution - CLOSED 2011
- Toggle 4 FDA Proposal to Refuse to Approve a Supplemental New Drug Application for Bromday (Bromfenac Ophthalmic Solution), 0.09%; Opportunity for a Hearing 2011
- Toggle 3 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for YERVOY® (ipilimumab), US. Patent No. 6,984,720 2011
- Toggle 3 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for YERVOY® (ipilimumab), U.S. Patent No. 7,605,238 2011
- Toggle 3 FDA Take Administrative Action With Regards to Generic Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release 300 mg Tablets 2012
- Toggle 3 FDA Request FDA To Not Approve Any Rosuvastatin Calcium Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) for Which Crestor is the Reference Listed Drug - CLOSED 2011
- Toggle 3 FDA To Not Approve any Quetiapine Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) for Which Seroquel is the Reference Listed Drug if the Proposed Labeling for any Such ANDA Omits Information That FDA Required AstraZeneca to Include in the Labeling for Seroquel - CLOSED 2011
- Toggle 3 FDA To not Approve Any Quetiapine Abbreviated New Drug Application for Which Seroquel XR is The Reference Listed Drug, Unless The Conditions Specified in The Petition Are Satisfied 2011
- Toggle 3 FDA Not Approve Any Acetylcysteine Injection Abbreviated New Drug Application for Which Acetadote® is The Reference Listed Drug if The Generic Drug Product Contains Edetate Disodium as a Component of Its Formulation 2012
Advisory Committees3 people on 3 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Covington & Burling" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of State 3 people on 3 committees