Covington & Burling
Covington & Burling LLP is an international law firm with offices in Beijing, Brussels, London, New York, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, San Diego, and Washington, DC. The firm advises multinational corporations on significant transactional, litigation, regulatory, and public policy matters. Covington & Burling LLP consistently ranks among the top 20 on The American Lawyer’s prestigious "A-List", based on financial performance, pro bono activity, associate satisfaction, and diversity. The firm has an overall prestige ranking of 9 by Vault.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2010 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying Carried Out by Covington & Burling
Names of Lobbyists
Client Amount Qualcomm Inc $3,360,000 National Football League $1,460,000 Kosmos Energy $830,000 Pharmaceutical Rsrch & Mfrs of America $790,000 Xe Services $730,000 Western Conf of Teamsters Pension Trust $710,000 John Hancock Financial Services $670,000 Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Admin $610,000 COMPETE $480,000 J Citron, J Mas Santos et al $480,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Foreign Relations,
- Radio & TV Broadcasting,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Government Issues,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1260 Patent Reform Act of 2009 S.515 Patent Reform Act of 2009 S.1551 Liability for Aiding and Abetting Securities Violations Act of 2009 H.R.4337 Regulated Investment Company Modernization Act of 2010 H.R.4912 S.1504 Notice Pleading Restoration Act of 2009 H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010 H.R.3439 Close the SILO/LILO Loophole Act of 2009 H.R.5368 United States Postal Service Postal Inspectors Equity Act S.1341 Close the SILO/LILO Loophole Act of 2009
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Client Summary April 22, 2013 Eli Lilly & Co Trade compliance issues related to Canadas patentability requirements. View registration April 22, 2013 First Wind Advocate policies that would promote and develop utility-scale wind power projects in the United States. View registration April 22, 2013 Americans for Responsible Solutions Advocate for gun-safety legislation. View registration March 1, 2013 CMA CGM and China Merchants Holdings International (an informal coalition) Investment by China Merchants Holdings International in Terminal Link SAS. View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 36 dockets; Submitted to 6 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Covington & Burling" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Covington & Burling
- Toggle 3 IRS Additional Rules Regarding Hybrid Retirement Plans 2010
- Toggle 2 FDA Disclosure of Nutrient Content Information for Standard Menu Items Offered for Sale at Chain Restaurants or Similar Retail Food Establishments and for Articles of Food Sold from Vending Machines 2010
- Toggle 1 IRS Interim Final Rules for Group Health Plans and Health Insurance Coverage Relating to Status as a Grandfathered Health Plan under the Patient Protection and Afforable Care Act 2010
- Toggle 1 FINCEN Amendment to the Bank Secrecy Act Regulations – Reports of Foreign Financial Accounts 2009
- Toggle 1 FDA Unapproved Animal Drugs 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA To declare that the former RLD, Miralax (polyethylene glycol 3350 Powder for Solution was not withdrawn from sale for reasons of safety or effectiveness 2009
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Covington & Burling
- Toggle 13 FDA Proposal to Withdraw Approval; Notice of Opportunity for a Hearing for the Breast Cancer Indication for Bevacizumab (Avastin) 2010
- Toggle 9 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for Lusedra, U.S. Patent No. 6,872,838 - CLOSED 2009
- Toggle 7 FDA AMPYRA™ (dalfampridine); Patent Term Extension Application, U.S. Patent No. 5,370,879 2010
- Toggle 7 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for Lusedra, U.S. Patent No. 6,204,257 2009
- Toggle 6 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for SAPHRIS® (asenapine), U.S. Patent No. 5,763,476 2010
- Toggle 6 FDA AMPYRA™ (dalfampridine); Patent Term Extension Application, U.S. Patent No. 5,540,938 2010
- Toggle 4 CMS Health Care-Related Taxes 2010
- Toggle 3 FDA Confirm that FDA Will Stay Approval of ANDA No. 90-040 for 30 Months from November 24, 2009 2010
- Toggle 2 FDA To Consider the Information for an Ophthalmic Drug Product, for use in Connection With Cataract Surgery and Containing Bromfenac Sodium 2010
- Toggle 2 FDA New Chemical Entity (NCE) Exclusivity for Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate" Capsules" 2009
Advisory Committees3 people on 3 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Covington & Burling" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of State 3 people on 3 committees