Covington & Burling
Covington & Burling LLP is an international law firm with offices in Beijing, Brussels, London, New York, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, San Diego, and Washington, DC. The firm advises multinational corporations on significant transactional, litigation, regulatory, and public policy matters. Covington & Burling LLP consistently ranks among the top 20 on The American Lawyer’s prestigious "A-List", based on financial performance, pro bono activity, associate satisfaction, and diversity. The firm has an overall prestige ranking of 9 by Vault.
Campaign Finance$4,497,014 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying Carried Out by Covington & Burling
Names of Lobbyists
Client Amount Qualcomm Inc $11,160,000 Microsoft Corp $7,070,000 National Football League $6,827,000 Pharmaceutical Rsrch & Mfrs of America $5,464,000 John Hancock Financial Services $3,510,000 Kosmos Energy $1,970,000 United Airlines $1,860,000 COMPETE $1,782,500 Amgen Inc $1,670,000 Unisys Corp $1,610,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Foreign Relations,
- Radio & TV Broadcasting,
- Government Issues,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.1551 Liability for Aiding and Abetting Securities Violations Act of 2009 H.R.1260 Patent Reform Act of 2009 S.515 Patent Reform Act of 2009 H.R.1260 Support for Survivors Act H.R.4912 S.515 A bill to rescind amounts made available for water treatment improvements for the Flathead County Water and Sewer District and make the amounts available for Federal deficit reduction. H.R.4337 Regulated Investment Company Modernization Act of 2010 S.1504 Notice Pleading Restoration Act of 2009 H.R.698 Industrial Bank Holding Company Act of 2007 H.R.1908 Patent Reform Act of 2007
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Client Summary April 22, 2013 Eli Lilly & Co Trade compliance issues related to Canadas patentability requirements. View registration April 22, 2013 First Wind Advocate policies that would promote and develop utility-scale wind power projects in the United States. View registration April 22, 2013 Americans for Responsible Solutions Advocate for gun-safety legislation. View registration March 1, 2013 CMA CGM and China Merchants Holdings International (an informal coalition) Investment by China Merchants Holdings International in Terminal Link SAS. View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 270 dockets; Submitted to 36 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Covington & Burling" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Covington & Burling
- Toggle 21 DOT U.S. DOT/OST - Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Computer Reservation System (CRS) Regulations (Part 255) 1997
- Toggle 12 DOT Association of Retail Travel Agents - Emergency Petition for Rulemaking 1998
- Toggle 12 DOT America West Airlines, Inc. - Petition for Rulemaking - Amendment of Part 255 1997
- Toggle 9 DOT Amadeus Global Travel Distribution S.A. - Petition for Interpretation of Computer Reservations Systems Regulations 1999
- Toggle 3 IRS Additional Rules Regarding Hybrid Retirement Plans 2010
- Toggle 3 DOT Notice of Proposed Rulemaking 2003
- Toggle 3 IRS Hybrid retirement plans 2008
- Toggle 2 FDA Disclosure of Nutrient Content Information for Standard Menu Items Offered for Sale at Chain Restaurants or Similar Retail Food Establishments and for Articles of Food Sold from Vending Machines 2010
- Toggle 2 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Proposal to Refuse to Approve a Supplemental New Drug Application for Bromday (Bromfenac Ophthalmic Solution), 0.09%; Opportunity for a Hearing 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Covington & Burling
- Toggle 77 DOT U.S. DOT/OST - Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Computer Reservation System (CRS) Regulations (Part 255) 1997
- Toggle 45 DOT Association of Retail Travel Agents - Emergency Petition for Rulemaking 1998
- Toggle 45 DOT America West Airlines, Inc. - Petition for Rulemaking - Amendment of Part 255 1997
- Toggle 30 DOT 96-7-19 Instituting Order - U.S.-Toronto Third Year Service Proceeding 1996
- Toggle 26 DOT Amadeus Global Travel Distribution S.A. - Petition for Interpretation of Computer Reservations Systems Regulations 1999
- Toggle 21 DOT U.S. - Toronto Second Year Service Proceeding 1995
- Toggle 21 DOT United Air Lines, Inc., Against The European Commission and National Implementing Authorities - "IATFCPA" 1998
- Toggle 19 DOT Northwest Airlines, Inc. - Complaint Against the Council of the European Union and the Governments of the 15 EU Member States 1999
- Toggle 15 DOT Notice - Hong Kong Fifth Freedom All-Cargo Proceeding 1995
- Toggle 15 DOT Air Transport Association of America - Petition for Withdrawal of Moratorium 2006
Advisory Committees6 people on 6 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Covington & Burling" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of State 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of Defense 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Small Business Administration 1 person on 1 committee