Continental Airlines (IATA: CO, ICAO: COA, Call sign: CONTINENTAL) is a major American airline based in Continental Center I in Downtown Houston, Texas. On October 1, 2010, the acquisition of Continental airlines by UAL Corporation (the parent company of United Airlines) was completed and on the same day UAL changed its name to United Continental Holdings, Inc. These airlines are in the process of merging their operations under the name United Airlines. During the integration period, both airlines will, for a time, run separate operations under direction of a combined leadership team of the new parent company based in Chicago. The merger transaction is estimated to be worth (USD)$3.2 billion.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2008 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2013. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Continental Airlines
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Continental Airlines $4,208,968
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Aviation, Airlines & Airports,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Homeland Security,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Economics & Econ Development
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2881 FAA Reauthorization Act of 2007 H.R.2638 Border Infrastructure and Technology Modernizat H.R.6299 (Unknown) H.R.6382 Pension Protection Technical Corrections Act of 2008 H.R.7242 Pension Protection Act IRC Amendments of 2008 S.3150 Access to Air Travel Act H.R.2764 Executive Office of the President Appropriations Act, 2008 H.R.3539 Airport and Airway Trust Fund Financing Act of 2007 H.R.3540 Federal Aviation Administration Extension Act of 2007 H.R.6327 Federal Aviation Administration Extension Act of 2008
RegulationsMentioned in 337 dockets; Submitted to 78 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Continental Airlines" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Continental Airlines
- Toggle 10 DOT 2007, 2008, 2009 US-China Air Services and Combination Frequency Allocation Procedure 2007
- Toggle 6 DOT Continental Airlines, Inc. and Members of the Star Alliance - Approve and Confer Antitrust Immunity on Certain Alliance Agreements 2008
- Toggle 5 DOT Complaint Against Los Angeles World Airports, Los Angeles Board of Airport Commissioners and the City of Los Angeles, California 2007
- Toggle 4 DOT Continental Airlines, Inc. and China Southern Airlines Company Limited - Exemption/Statement of Authorization - China-U.S. Points 2007
- Toggle 4 FAA Qualification, Service, and Use of Crew Members and Aircraft Dispatchers 2008
- Toggle 3 DOT United Air Lines, Inc. and TAM Linhas Aereas, S.A., - Statements of Authorization - U.S.-Brazil 2007
- Toggle 3 DOT Porter Airlines Inc. - Foreign Permit/Exemption - Canada-U.S. 2007
- Toggle 2 FAA Model 777-200, -300, and -300ER Series Airplanes 2007
- Toggle 2 FAA Boeing Model 737-600, -700, -700C, -800 and -900 Series Airplanes - 2007-NM-060-AD 2007
- Toggle 2 DOT Small Community Air Service Development Grants 2007
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Continental Airlines
- Toggle 270 DOT Continental Airlines, Inc. and Members of the Star Alliance - Approve and Confer Antitrust Immunity on Certain Alliance Agreements 2008
- Toggle 258 DOT 2007, 2008, 2009 US-China Air Services and Combination Frequency Allocation Procedure 2007
- Toggle 115 DOT Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections 2007
- Toggle 112 DOT Complaint Against Los Angeles World Airports, Los Angeles Board of Airport Commissioners and the City of Los Angeles, California 2007
- Toggle 33 DOT Air Transportation Association of America, Inc. and Air Carrier Association of America - Petition for Declaratory Order Regarding Tinicum Township Ordinance No. 2007-809 2007
- Toggle 31 DOT Porter Airlines Inc. - Foreign Permit/Exemption - Canada-U.S. 2007
- Toggle 25 DOT 2007/2008 U.S.-Colombia Combination Frequency Allocation Proceeding 2007
- Toggle 23 FAA Northwest Airlines, Inc., Delta Airlines, Inc., AirTran Airways, Inc., and Continental Airlines, Inc. v Indianapolis Airport Authority, Indianapolis International Airport, BAA-Indianapolis LLC 2007
- Toggle 22 FAA Qualification, Service, and Use of Crew Members and Aircraft Dispatchers 2008
- Toggle 21 DOT The Acquisition of Northwest Airlines by Wings Holding, Inc. - Petition 2007
Federal Spending6 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Continental Airlines Incorporated||2008||CONTINGENCY PASSENGER MISSION.||$1,414,710|
|Continental Airlines Incorporated||2008||CONTINGENCY PASSENGER AIRLIFT||$1,070,585|
|Continental Airlines Incorporated||2008||AWARD OF CONTINGENCY PAX MSNS||$1,058,722|
|Continental Airlines Incorporated||2007||CONTINGENCY PASSENGER MISSIONS||$1,050,515|
|Continental Airlines Incorporated||2008||AWARD OF CONTINGENCY PAX MISSIONS||$1,033,106|
|Continental Airlines Incorporated||2008||ADD FUNDING TO REIMBURSABLES||$1,000,000|
Advisory Committees6 people on 2 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Continental Airlines" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Transportation 6 people on 2 committees