Common Cause is a nonpartisan, nonprofit citizens' lobby and advocacy organization. The organization was founded in 1970 by Republican former cabinet secretary under Lyndon Johnson John W. Gardner with a mission focused on making U.S. political institutions more open and accountable.
Campaign Finance$385,887 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Common Cause
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Common Cause $9,793,229
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Government Issues,
- Radio & TV Broadcasting,
- District of Columbia,
- Civil Rights & Civil Liberties,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Foreign Relations
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1826 Fair Elections Now Act S.752 Fair Elections Now Act H.R.1404 Fair Elections Now Act H.R.1719 Voter Registration Modernization Act of 2009 H.R.2517 Shareholder Protection Act of 2011 S.750 Fair Elections Now Act H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010 H.R.862 Supreme Court Transparency and Disclosure Act of 2011 H.R.1024 No Taxpayer Money for Corporate Campaigns Act of 2011 H.R.1604 Universal Right to Vote by Mail Act of 2009
RegulationsMentioned in 1053 dockets; Submitted to 2 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Common Cause" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Common Cause
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Common Cause
- Toggle 25 SSA Revised Medical Criteria for Evaluating Mental Disorders 2006
- Toggle 25 EPA Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting Program 2005
- Toggle 23 EPA Proposed Endangerment Finding for Greenhouse Gases under the Clean Air Act (CAA) 2009
- Toggle 19 FDA Health-Care Antiseptic Drug Products for Over-the-Counter (OTC) Human Use 1975
- Toggle 18 NIH Recently Posted NIH Rules and Notices. Unknown
- Toggle 18 FDA Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption 2011
- Toggle 18 EPA CERCLA/EPCRA Administrative Reporting Exemption for Air Releases of Hazardous Substances from Animal Waste 2007
- Toggle 17 FAA 207-Minute Extended Range Operations with Two-Engine Aircraft (ETOPS) 1999
- Toggle 17 FDA Mandatory Status of Nutrition and Nutrient Content Revision 1990
- Toggle 17 EPA Review of the National Ambient Air Quality Standards for Lead 2006
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.