Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ: CMCSA and NASDAQ: CMCSK), commonly referred to as Comcast, is the largest cable operator, home internet service provider, and third largest home telephone service provider in the United States, providing cable television, broadband Internet, and telephone service to both residential and commercial customers in 39 states and the District of Columbia. The company is headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Comcast also has significant holding in several cable networks (including E! Entertainment Television, Style Network, G4, The Golf Channel and Versus), distribution (ThePlatform), and related businesses. Comcast's proposed acquisition of a majority stake in NBC Universal was approved by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on January 18, 2011. The acquisition took place on January 28, 2011.
Campaign Finance$33,308,978 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Bundled ContributionsMoney raised by the firm from multiple donors on behalf of the recipient. The firm's own contributions are not included.
Recipient Lobbyist Amount Blanche Lincoln Melissa Maxfield $17,300
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Comcast Corp
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Comcast Corp $110,607,323
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Radio & TV Broadcasting,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Consumer Product Safety,
- Government Issues,
- Science & Technology,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Sports & Athletics
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.968 PIPA H.R.1 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 H.R.3261 Stop Online Piracy Act S.911 SPECTRUM Act H.R.2994 Satellite Home Viewer Reauthorization Act H.R.3101 Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010 H.R.3630 Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2011 S.215 Internet Freedom Preservation Act H.R.3458 Internet Freedom Preservation Act of 2009 S.1207 Data Security and Breach Notification Act of 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 384 dockets; Submitted to 14 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Comcast Corp" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Comcast Corp
- Toggle 7 ATBCB Proposed Accessibility Guidelines for Pedestrian Facilities in the Public Right-of-Way 2011
- Toggle 5 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 4 NLRB Proposed Rules Governing Notification of Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act 2010
- Toggle 3 OSHA ERGONOMICS PROGRAM 2006
- Toggle 2 FHWA Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) Work Zone Safety; Request for Comments 2001
- Toggle 2 LMSO Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act; Interpretation of the "Advice" Exemption 2011
- Toggle 2 DOT US Airways, Inc. - Exemption - Philadelphia-Shannon/Dublin, Ireland 2002
- Toggle 1 OSHA Ex. 1. National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health (NACOSH); Request for Nominations to Serve on NACOSH 2007
- Toggle 1 DOT Small Community Air Service Development Program 2004
- Toggle 1 DOT Small Community Air Service Development Program 2005
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Comcast Corp
- Toggle 329 EPA California State Motor Vehicle Pollution Control Standards - Request for Waiver of Preemption Under Clean Air Act Section 209(b) for Greenhouse Gas Emissions 2006
- Toggle 155 EPA Review of the National Ambient Air Quality Standards for Ozone 2005
- Toggle 149 EPA Review of the National Ambient Air Quality Standards for Lead 2006
- Toggle 114 EPA Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Greenhouse Gases Under the Clean Air Act 2008
- Toggle 98 EPA Notice of Receipt of a Request for a Clean Air Act Waiver to Increase the Allowable Ethanol Content of Gasoline to 15 Percent 2009
- Toggle 65 DOT Time Zone Boundaries in the State of Indiana 2005
- Toggle 62 EPA Development of CWA NPDES Permits for Discharges Incidental to Normal Operation of a Vessel 2007
- Toggle 56 EPA Notice of Receipt of a Request from the State of Texas for a Waiver of a Portion of the Renewable Fuel Standards 2008
- Toggle 54 EPA Draft EPA/Army Guidance Regarding CWA Jurisdiction after Rapanos 2007
- Toggle 43 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants From the Portland Cement Manufacturing Industry 2002
Advisory Committees14 people on 11 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Comcast Corp" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Federal Communications Commission 9 people on 5 committees
- Toggle National Science Foundation 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Defense 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 1 person on 1 committee