Clear Channel Communications, Inc. is an American media conglomerate company headquartered in San Antonio, Texas. It was founded in 1972 by Lowry Mays and Red McCombs, and was taken private by Bain Capital LLC and Thomas H. Lee Partners LP in a leveraged buyout in 2008. Clear Channel specializes in radio broadcasting, concert promotion and hosting, and fixed advertising in the United States through its subsidiaries. After 21 years, Mark Mays stepped down as President and CEO of Clear Channel on June 23, 2010. Mays will remain as Chairman of the Board, a position he has held for a year prior. The Board has engaged Egon Zehnder International, a leading executive search firm, to lead the search for a new CEO.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2008 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Clear Channel Communications
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Clear Channel Communications $7,080,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Radio & TV Broadcasting,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Government Issues,
- Law Enforcement & Crime,
- Media Information & Publishing
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.CON.RES.244 S.2500 Performance Rights Act H.R.4789 Performance Rights Act S.CON.RES.82 H.R.4835 Media Ownership Act of 2007 H.R.983 Local Emergency Radio Service Preservation Act of 2007 S.1675 Local Community Radio Act of 2007 S.1223 First Response Broadcasters Act of 2007 S.1780 Protecting Children from Indecent Programming Act H.R.600 Telecommunications Ownership Diversification Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 28 dockets; Submitted to 2 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Clear Channel Communications" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Clear Channel Communications
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Clear Channel Communications
- Toggle 2 DOT Small Community Air Service Development Grants 2007
- Toggle 2 CRB Digital Performance Right in Sound Recordings and Ephemeral Recordings 2007
- Toggle 1 EPA Greenhouse Gas Mandatory Reporting 2008
- Toggle 1 NOAA Revisions to Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary Regulations 2007
- Toggle 1 FRS Banks and bank holding companies: Change in bank control 2007
- Toggle 1 COLC Compulsory License for Making and Distributing Phonorecords, Including Digital Phonorecord Deliveries 2008
- Toggle 1 OSHA Safety Standards for Cranes and Derricks in Construction 2007
- Toggle 1 EPA San Joaquin Valley AQMD Rules 4307, 4308, 4309, 4352 and 4905 2007
- Toggle 1 OSHA Walking and Working Surfaces; Personal Protective Equipment (Fall Protection Systems) 2007
- Toggle 1 FTC Granting of Request for Early Termination of the Waiting Period Under the Premerger Notification Rules 2007
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Clear Channel Communications" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Federal Communications Commission 1 person on 1 committee