Citigroup Inc. (branded Citi) is a major American financial services company based in New York City. Citigroup was formed from one of the world's largest mergers in history by combining the banking giant Citicorp and financial conglomerate Travelers Group on April 7, 1998.
Campaign Finance$32,803,640 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Bundled ContributionsMoney raised by the firm from multiple donors on behalf of the recipient. The firm's own contributions are not included.
Recipient Lobbyist Amount National Republican Senatorial Cmte Nicholas Calio $85,000 National Republican Congressional Cmte Nicholas Calio $45,000
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Citigroup Inc
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Citigroup Management Corp $88,940,000 Primerica Life Insurance $1,140,000 Associates First Capital $450,000 Ely & Co $20,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010 H.R.749 To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to permanently extend the subpart F exemption for active financing income. H.R.1944 S.3217 Private Fund Investment Advisers Registration Act of 2010 H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 H.R.1838 To repeal a provision of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act prohibiting any Federal bailout of swap dealers or participants. H.R.3283 Swap Jurisdiction Certainty Act H.R.3221 Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2008 H.R.1182 GSE Bailout Elimination and Taxpayer Protection Act H.R.1424 Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 588 dockets; Submitted to 14 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Citigroup Inc" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Citigroup Inc
- Toggle 2 CFPB Confidential Treatment of Privileged Information 2012
- Toggle 2 CFPB Truth in Lending (Regulation Z) Credit Card ATP Proposal 2012
- Toggle 2 OCC Risk-Based Capital Standards: Advanced Capital Adequacy Framework 2006
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments Concerning Free Trade Agreement With the Republic of Colombia 2009
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments Concerning Free Trade Agreement With the Republic of Korea 2009
- Toggle 1 FHWA Credit Assistance for Surface Transportation Projects; Expedited Process for Execution of TIFIA Loans 2008
- Toggle 1 OCC Volcker Rule - Prohibition on Proprietary Trading and Certain Relationships with Hedge Funds and Private Equity Funds 2011
- Toggle 1 EBSA Prohibited Transaction Exemption for Provision of Investment Advice to Individual Retirement and Similar Plans 2006
- Toggle 1 OTS Community Reinvestment Act Regulations 2009
- Toggle 1 Community Reinvestment Act Questions & Answers 2013
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Citigroup Inc
- Toggle 17 OCC Volcker Rule - Prohibition on Proprietary Trading and Certain Relationships with Hedge Funds and Private Equity Funds 2011
- Toggle 16 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 12 DOT U.S. DOT/OST - Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Computer Reservation System (CRS) Regulations (Part 255) 1997
- Toggle 10 DOT Association of Retail Travel Agents - Emergency Petition for Rulemaking 1998
- Toggle 10 DOT America West Airlines, Inc. - Petition for Rulemaking - Amendment of Part 255 1997
- Toggle 8 OCC Regulatory Capital Rules (Part I): Regulatory Capital, Minimum Regulatory Capital Ratios, Capital Adequacy, Transition Provisions 2012
- Toggle 8 TREAS Review by the Treasury Department of the Regulatory Structure Associated with Financial Institutions 2007
- Toggle 8 EPA EPA/NHTSA Joint Rulemaking to Establish Light-duty Vehicle GHG Emissions Standards and CAFE Standards for Model Year 2017 and Later 2010
- Toggle 8 OCC Credit Risk Retention by Securitizers 2011
- Toggle 8 DOT Amadeus Global Travel Distribution S.A. - Petition for Interpretation of Computer Reservations Systems Regulations 1999
Federal Spending1 contract
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Citigroup Inc.||2013||Veterans Affairs, Department Of||IGF::OT::IGF TRANSPORTATION OF HEADSTONES, MARKERS OR NICHE COVERS THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES||$2,510,000|
EPA Violations2 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Calumet Containter Admin Order On Consent (Cercla)||Primerica Corporation (+50 others)||2006||Hammond, In||$2,784,520|
|Russell Martin Bliss Et Al||Primerica, Inc. (+1 others)||2001||Wildwood, Mo||$1,750,000|
Advisory Committees14 people on 14 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Citigroup Inc" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of State 4 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Federal Trade Commission 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Surface Transportation Board 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Election Assistance Commission 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Defense 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Homeland Security 1 person on 1 committee