Chesapeake Energy (NYSE: CHK) is the second largest producer of natural gas in the United States and the most active driller of new wells, according to a January 2011 investor presentation . It recorded 4Q 2010 natural gas production of an average of approximately 2.9 billion cubic feet of natural gas equivalent (bcfe). The 2010 full year was Chesapeake's 21st consecutive year of sequential production growth.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Chesapeake Energy
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Chesapeake Energy $3,390,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Natural Resources,
- Veterans Affairs,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1084 Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness of Chemicals Act of 2011 S.587 FRAC Act H.R.1380 New Alternative Transportation to Give Americans Solutions Act of 2011 S.1863 New Alternative Transportation to Give Americans Solutions Act of 2011 H.R.4348 Transportation Research and Innovative Technology Act of 2012 H.R.6082 Congressional Replacement of President Obama's Energy-Restricting and Job-Limiting Offshore Drilling Plan S.1813 MAP-21
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Registrant Summary April 26, 2013 SBL Strategies, LLC Energy and natural gas policy View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 52 dockets; Submitted to 2 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Chesapeake Energy" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Chesapeake Energy
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Chesapeake Energy
- Toggle 8 EPA Mandatory Reporting of Greenhouse Gases: Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems 2011
- Toggle 8 BLM Notice of Proposed Rule: Oil and Gas; Well Stimulation, Including Hydraulic Fracturing, on Federal and Indian Lands 43 CFR 3160 2012
- Toggle 7 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 7 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans; State of Colorado; Regional Haze State Implementation Plan 2011
- Toggle 7 EPA Technical Revisions for Subparts I and W of the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule 2011
- Toggle 4 EPA Federal Implementation Plan and Revisions to Regional Haze Provisions Governing Alternative to Source-Specific Best Available Retrofit Technology (BART) Determinations 2011
- Toggle 3 EPA Approval, Disapproval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans; Nebraska; Regional Haze State Implementation Plan; Federal Implementation Plan for Best Available Retrofit Technology Determination 2012
- Toggle 3 EPA Minor Technical Corrections and Amendments to the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rules 2011
- Toggle 3 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans; State of Wyoming; Regional Haze State Implementation Plan. 2012
- Toggle 3 EPA UIC Permitting Guidance for Oil and Gas Hydraulic Fracturing Activities Using Diesel Fuels – Draft 2011
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Chesapeake Energy" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee