Brown University is a private, Ivy League university located in Providence, Rhode Island. Founded in 1764 prior to American independence from the British Empire as the College in the English Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations early in the reign of King George III (1760–1820), Brown is the third oldest institution of higher education in New England and seventh oldest in the United States.
Campaign Finance$454,506 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Brown University
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Brown University $798,739
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Science & Technology,
- Veterans Affairs,
- Aviation, Airlines & Airports,
- Computers & Information Tech,
- District of Columbia,
- Economics & Econ Development
RegulationsMentioned in 376 dockets; Submitted to 16 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Brown University" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Brown University
- Toggle 6 HHS Human Subjects Research Protections: Enhancing Protections for Research Subjects and Reducing Burden, Delay, and Ambiguity for Investigators 2011
- Toggle 3 DOS Notice of Receipt of Cultural Property Request From the Government of the Hellenic Republic 2010
- Toggle 2 OSHA National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health (NACOSH); Request for Nominations and Meetings for 2009 2009
- Toggle 1 Reform of Federal Policies Relating to Grants and Cooperative Agreements; Cost Principles and Administrative Requirements (including Single Audit Act) 2013
- Toggle 1 APHIS Animal Welfare Act; Standards of Care for Elephants 2006
- Toggle 1 BLM Notice of Proposed Rule: Oil and Gas; Well Stimulation, Including Hydraulic Fracturing, on Federal and Indian Lands 43 CFR 3160 2012
- Toggle 1 APHIS Dow AgroSciences LLC; Availability of Petition, Plant Pest Risk Assessment, and Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Corn Genetically Engineered for Herbicide Tolerance 2010
- Toggle 1 ED Gainful Employment--Student Assistance General Provisions--34 CFR Part 668 2010
- Toggle 1 NOAA Notification of Receipt of a Petition for Rulemaking to Implement the Provisions of the Marine Mammal Protection Act for Swordfish Imports 2009
- Toggle 1 APHIS Shift Cage Requirements 2005
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Brown University
- Toggle 52 NHTSA National Academy of Science Study and Future Fuel Economy Improvements Model Years 2005-2010 2002
- Toggle 13 EPA Rulemaking for the Steam Electric Power Generating Effluent Limitations Guidelines 2009
- Toggle 13 USCG Standards for Living Organisms In Ships Ballast Water Discharged In U.S. Waters 2001
- Toggle 9 EPA Criteria and Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures 2008
- Toggle 9 EPA Water Quality Standards for the State of Florida's Lakes and Flowing Waters 2009
- Toggle 8 EPA Regional Haze Regulations; Revisions to Provision Governing Alternative to Source-Specific Best Available Retrofit Technology (Bart) Determinations 2002
- Toggle 7 NHTSA Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement for New Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards 2008
- Toggle 6 EPA Benzidine-Based Dyes, SCCP, and DnPP Significant New Use Rule 2010
- Toggle 6 DOT 2007, 2008, 2009 US-China Air Services and Combination Frequency Allocation Procedure 2007
- Toggle 6 FDA Medical Devices: Neurological Devices; Electroconvulsive Therapy Device; Establishing a Public Docket 2009
Federal Spending97 grants; 13 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Brown University||2001||Education, Department Of||THIS CONTRACT IS ONE OF 10 FOR THE REGIONAL EDUCATION LAB SYSTEM UNDER THE INSTITUTE OF EDUCATIONAL SCIENCES. "LAB" AT BROWN COVERS THE NORTHEASTERN REGION, TECHINCAL ASSISTANCE, SOME COMPILATIONS OF STUDY RESULTS AND SOME RESEARCH, ETC.||$7,790,311|
|Brown University||2004||Education, Department Of||THIS CONTRACT IS ONE OF 10 FOR THE REGIONAL EDUCATION LAB SYSTEM UNDER THE INSTITUTE OF EDUCATIONAL SCIENCES. "LAB" AT BROWN COVERS THE NORTHEASTERN REGION, TECHINCAL ASSISTANCE, SOME COMPILATIONS OF STUDY RESULTS AND SOME RESEARCH, ETC.||$5,271,224|
|Brown University||2007||National Institutes Of Health||BIOSTATISTICS DATA MANAGEMENT CENTER FOR ACRIN||$4,804,453|
|Brown University||2008||National Institutes Of Health||BIOSTATISTICS DATA MANAGEMENT CENTER FOR ACRIN||$4,027,801|
|Brown University||2010||National Institutes Of Health||BIOSTATISTICS DATA MANAGEMENT CENTER FOR ACRIN||$3,775,476|
|Brown University||2006||National Institutes Of Health||$3,708,196|
|Brown University||2005||National Institutes Of Health||$3,560,295|
|Brown University||2009||National Institutes Of Health||BIOSTATISTICS DATA MANAGEMENT CENTER FOR ACRIN||$3,434,694|
|Brown University||2003||Education, Department Of||$3,300,919|
|Brown University||2011||National Institutes Of Health||BIOSTATISTICS DATA MANAGEMENT CENTER FOR ACRIN||$3,281,935|
Advisory Committees386 people on 149 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Brown University" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 255 people on 93 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 83 people on 39 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Humanities 38 people on 1 committee
- Toggle National Aeronautics and Space Administration 4 people on 5 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Arts 4 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Veterans Affairs 3 people on 4 committees
- Toggle Department of the Interior 1 person on 2 committees
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Agency for International Development 1 person on 1 committee