Bristol-Myers Squibb (NYSE: BMY), often referred to as BMS, is a pharmaceutical company, headquartered in New York City. The company was formed in 1989, following the merger of its predecessors Bristol-Myers and the Squibb Corporation. Squibb was founded in 1858 by Edward Robinson Squibb in Brooklyn, New York, while Bristol-Myers was founded in 1887 by William McLaren Bristol and John Ripley Myers in Clinton, New York (both were graduates of Hamilton College).
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q3 2013. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Bristol-Myers Squibb
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Bristol-Myers Squibb $6,450,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.23 Patent Reform Act of 2011 H.R.452 Medicare Decisions Accountability Act of 2011 H.R.1249 America Invents Act S.27 Preserve Access to Affordable Generics Act S.319 Pharmaceutical Market Access and Drug Safety Act of 2011 S.668 Health Care Bureaucrats Elimination Act S.3187 Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act H.R.1483 Drug Safety Enhancement Act of 2011 H.R.2190 Medicare Drug Savings Act of 2011 S.296 Preserving Access to Life-Saving Medications Act
RegulationsMentioned in 81 dockets; Submitted to 13 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Bristol-Myers Squibb" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Biosimilars: Questions and Answers Regarding Implementation of the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009; Availability 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Non-Penicillin Beta-Lactam Risk Assessment: A CGMP Framework; Availability 2011
- Toggle 1 CDC Recommendations for the Identification of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Chronic Infection 2012
- Toggle 1 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for NULOJIX® (belatacept) U.S. Patent No. 7,094,874 2012
- Toggle 1 FDA International Conference on Harmonisation; Draft Guidance on Q11 Development and Manufacture of Drug Substances; Availability 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Regulatory Classification of Pharmaceutical Co-Crystals; Availability 2011
- Toggle 1 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Quality Considerations in Demonstrating Biosimilarity to a Reference Protein Product; Availability 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Quality Considerations in Demonstrating Biosimilarity to a Reference Protein Product 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Modernizing the Regulation of Clinical Trials and Approaches to Good Clinical Practice; Public Hearing; Request for Comments 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Toggle 5 FDA Determine Whether Questran Cholestyramine for Oral Suspension USP NDA 016640 Held by Bristol-Myers Squibb Co has Been Voluntarily Withdrawn From Sale for Safety or Efficacy Reasons 2012
- Toggle 4 CMS Medicare Program; Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule and Other Revisions to Part B for CY 2012 2011
- Toggle 4 FDA Modernizing the Regulation of Clinical Trials and Approaches to Good Clinical Practice; Public Hearing; Request for Comments 2012
- Toggle 3 CDC Recommendations for the Identification of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Chronic Infection 2012
- Toggle 3 FDA Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. et al.; Withdrawal of Approval of 70 New Drug Applications and 97 Abbreviated New Drug Applications - CLOSED 2011
- Toggle 3 EPA Human Studies Review Board Meeting 2011
- Toggle 3 HHS Human Subjects Research Protections: Enhancing Protections for Research Subjects and Reducing Burden, Delay, and Ambiguity for Investigators 2011
- Toggle 2 CMS Medicaid Program; Covered Outpatient Drugs (CMS-2345-P) 2012
- Toggle 2 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Use of Histology in Biomarker Qualification Studies; Availability 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Take the Actions Described Below Jazz Markets XYREM Sodium Oxybate Oral Solution Hereinafter Xyrem Which is Indicated for the Treatment of Excessive Daytime Sleepiness and Cataplexy in Patients with Narcolepsy-Open 2012
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Bristol-Myers Squibb" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 1 person on 1 committee