BP p.l.c. (LSE: BP, NYSE: BP) is a global oil and gas company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It is the third-largest energy company and fourth-largest company in the world measured by revenues and one of the six oil and gas "supermajors". It is vertically-integrated and is active in every area of the oil and gas industry, including exploration and production, refining, distribution and marketing, petrochemicals, power generation and trading. It also has major renewable energy activities, including in biofuels, hydrogen, solar and wind power.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Bp
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount BP America $16,720,000 BP America $16,720,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Foreign Relations,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Government Issues,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1229 Putting the Gulf of Mexico Back to Work Act H.R.1230 Restarting American Offshore Leasing Now Act H.R.1231 Reversing President Obama's Offshore Moratorium Act S.940 Close Big Oil Tax Loopholes Act S.983 A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to disallow a deduction for amounts paid or incurred by a responsible party relating to a discharge of oil. S.365 Budget Control Act of 2011 S.516 Lease Extension and Secure Energy Act of 2011 S.861 Resources and Ecosystems Sustainability, Tourist Opportunities, and Revived Economies of the Gulf Coast States Act of 2011 S.916 Oil and Gas Facilitation Act of 2011 S.917 Outer Continental Shelf Reform Act of 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 926 dockets; Submitted to 8 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Bp" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Bp
- Toggle 2 FWS Lesser Prairie-Chicken, Proposed Threatened Status 2012
- Toggle 1 USCG Inflatable Personal Flotation Devices 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry: Modified Risk Tobacco Product Applications; Availability 2012
- Toggle 1 OSHA Standard Improvement Project, Phase IV ("SIP IV") 2012
- Toggle 1 FWS Revised critical habitat for southwestern willow flycatcher 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Petition Seeking Mandatory Labeling for Genetically Engineered Foods 2011
- Toggle 1 OSHA National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health 2012
- Toggle 1 POrt Authority Access to Facility Vulnerability Assessments and the Integration of Security Systems - Request for Comments 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Bp
- Toggle 178 EPA Gulf of Mexico Regional Ecosystem Restoration Strategy (Preliminary) 2011
- Toggle 83 NOAA Bluefin Tuna Bycatch Reduction in the Gulf of Mexico Pelagic Longline Fishery 2011
- Toggle 79 HHS Health Information Technology; HIT Policy Committee: Request for Comment Regarding the Stage 3 Definition of Meaningful Use of Electronic Health Records (EHRs) 2012
- Toggle 58 Control of Air Pollution From New Motor Vehicles: Tier 3 Motor Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards 2011
- Toggle 52 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 40 NHTSA Environmental Impact Statement for Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)Standards, Model Years 2017-2025 2011
- Toggle 34 NHTSA Model Year 2012 Test Reports 2011
- Toggle 34 EPA NPDES - Reissuance of the Vessel General Permit for Discharges Incidental to the Normal Operation of Vessels (VGP) 2011
- Toggle 33 BLM Notice of Proposed Rule: Oil and Gas; Well Stimulation, Including Hydraulic Fracturing, on Federal and Indian Lands 43 CFR 3160 2012
- Toggle 31 HHS Nationwide Health Information Network: Conditions for Trusted Exchange 2012
Contractor Misconduct17 Instances
This information is collected by the Project On Government Oversight from press releases, court documents, news reports and other public records. It is not meant to be an exhaustive account of all instances of federal contractor misconduct.
More information on each instance, including primary source documents, is available on POGO's site by clicking on the instance description. More information on POGO's methodology is available here.
EPA Violations3 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Anaconda Smelter Sf Site||Atlantic Richfield Company||2011||Anaconda, Mt||$17,000,000|
|Rico-Argentine Site||Atlantic Richfield Company||2011||Rico, Co||$6,068,000|
|International Smelting And Refining Site||Atlantic Richfield Company||2011||Tooele, Ut||$1,500,000|
Advisory Committees2 people on 2 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.