BP p.l.c. (LSE: BP, NYSE: BP) is a global oil and gas company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It is the third-largest energy company and fourth-largest company in the world measured by revenues and one of the six oil and gas "supermajors". It is vertically-integrated and is active in every area of the oil and gas industry, including exploration and production, refining, distribution and marketing, petrochemicals, power generation and trading. It also has major renewable energy activities, including in biofuels, hydrogen, solar and wind power.
Campaign Finance$7,600 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of BP America
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount BP America $16,720,000 BP America $16,720,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Foreign Relations,
- Government Issues,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1229 Putting the Gulf of Mexico Back to Work Act H.R.1230 Restarting American Offshore Leasing Now Act H.R.1231 Reversing President Obama's Offshore Moratorium Act S.940 Close Big Oil Tax Loopholes Act S.983 A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to disallow a deduction for amounts paid or incurred by a responsible party relating to a discharge of oil. S.365 Budget Control Act of 2011 S.516 Lease Extension and Secure Energy Act of 2011 S.861 Resources and Ecosystems Sustainability, Tourist Opportunities, and Revived Economies of the Gulf Coast States Act of 2011 S.916 Oil and Gas Facilitation Act of 2011 S.917 Outer Continental Shelf Reform Act of 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 52 dockets; Submitted to 3 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "BP America" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for BP America
- Toggle 2 BLM Notice of Proposed Rule: Oil and Gas; Well Stimulation, Including Hydraulic Fracturing, on Federal and Indian Lands 43 CFR 3160 2012
- Toggle 1 FWS Petition to List 404 Species in the Southeastern United States as Endangered 2011
- Toggle 1 IRS Information Reporting by Foreign Financial Institutions and Withholding on Certain Payments, etc. 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for BP America
- Toggle 6 EPA Integrated Science Assessment for Ozone and Other Photochemical Oxidants 2011
- Toggle 5 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans; State of Montana; State Implementation Plan and Regional Haze Federal Implementation Plan 2011
- Toggle 5 EPA Proposed Settlement Agreement in WildEarth Guardians v. EPA, No. 11-9527 (10th Cir.) 2011
- Toggle 5 BLM Notice of Proposed Rule: Oil and Gas; Well Stimulation, Including Hydraulic Fracturing, on Federal and Indian Lands 43 CFR 3160 2012
- Toggle 4 EPA Approval and Promulgation of State Implementation Programs; State of Utah; Regional Haze Rule Requirements for 40 CFR 51.309 2011
- Toggle 4 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans; State of Wyoming; Regional Haze State Implementation Plan. 2012
- Toggle 4 DOT In the Matter of the Cancellation of Air Taxi Authority Issued to VIH Cougar Helicopters, Inc. 2012
- Toggle 3 EPA Guidance to Implement Requirements of the Treatment of Air Quality Monitoring Data Influenced by Exceptional Events 2011
- Toggle 2 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Federal Implementation Plan for Oil and Natural Gas Well Production Facilities; Fort Berthold Indian Reservation (Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara Nations), North Dakota 2012
- Toggle 2 EPA Approval and Promulgation of State Implementation Plans; State of Wyoming; Regional Haze Rule Requirements for 40 CFR 51.309 2011
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.