The BNSF Railway (reporting mark BNSF), formerly known as the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway, is an American freight railroad company headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas; it is one of four remaining transcontinental railroads and one of the largest freight railroad networks in North America. Only the Union Pacific Railroad, its primary competitor for Western U.S. freight, is larger in size. The BNSF Railway moves more intermodal freight traffic than any other rail system in the world.
Campaign Finance$1,621,568 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of BNSF Railway
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount BNSF Railway $11,460,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Homeland Security,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.49 Railroad Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2011 S.158 Surface Transportation Board Reauthorization Act of 2011 H.R.233 No One Strike Eviction Act of 2011 S.1813 MAP-21 H.R.1789 State and Local Law Enforcement Discipline, Accountability, and Due Process Act of 2011 H.R.30 Taking Responsible Action for Community Safety Act H.R.199 Protect America's Energy and Manufacturing Jobs Act of 2011 H.R.304 To amend the limitation on liability for certain passenger rail accidents or incidents under section 28103 of title 49, United States Code, and for other purposes. H.R.763 Safe and Efficient Transportation Act of 2011 H.R.801 Truck Weight Uniformity Act of 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 200 dockets; Submitted to 4 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "BNSF Railway" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for BNSF Railway
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Office of Hazardous Materials Safety; Notice of Application for Special Permits 2012
- Toggle 1 FRA BNSF Railway Company - Waiver Petition 2011
- Toggle 1 FRA BNSF Railway - Waiver Petition 2012
- Toggle 1 LMSO Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act; Interpretation of the "Advice" Exemption 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for BNSF Railway
- Toggle 11 FRA BNSF Railway Company - Waiver Petition 2011
- Toggle 10 FRA Emergency Relief Docket for Calendar Year 2011 2011
- Toggle 9 FRA BNSF Railway - Waiver Petition 2012
- Toggle 6 FRA BNSF Railway Company - Waiver Petition 2011
- Toggle 4 FRA National Highway-Rail Crossing Inventory Rulemaking 2011
- Toggle 4 FRA BNSF - Waiver Petition 2012
- Toggle 3 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Air Quality Implementation Plans; State of Montana; Revisions to Subchapter 7; Exclusions for De Minimus Changes 2011
- Toggle 3 FRA BNSF Railway - Waiver Petition 2012
- Toggle 3 Control of Air Pollution From New Motor Vehicles: Tier 3 Motor Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards 2011
- Toggle 2 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans; Arizona; Regional Haze State Implementation Plan: FIP 2012
Advisory Committees6 people on 4 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "BNSF Railway" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Surface Transportation Board 5 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 1 person on 1 committee