The BNSF Railway (reporting mark BNSF), formerly known as the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway, is an American freight railroad company headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas; it is one of four remaining transcontinental railroads and one of the largest freight railroad networks in North America. Only the Union Pacific Railroad, its primary competitor for Western U.S. freight, is larger in size. The BNSF Railway moves more intermodal freight traffic than any other rail system in the world.
Campaign Finance$1,726,052 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of BNSF Railway
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount BNSF Railway $11,810,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Health Issues,
- Homeland Security,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.233 Railroad Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2009 H.R.1789 Comprehensive Rail Infrastructure Investment Act of 2009 S.146 Railroad Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2009 H.R.272 Freight Rail Infrastructure Capacity Expansion Act of 2009 H.R.1806 Freight Rail Infrastructure Capacity Expansion Act of 2009 H.R.2125 Surface Transportation Safety Act of 2009 S.2889 Surface Transportation Board Reauthorization Act of 2009 H.R.2454 American Clean Energy And Security Act of 2009 S.953 Seasonal Influenza and Pandemic Preparation Act of 2009 S.779 Safe Highways and Infrastructure Preservation Act
RegulationsMentioned in 220 dockets; Submitted to 7 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "BNSF Railway" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for BNSF Railway
- Toggle 10 FRA BNSF Railway Company - Positive Train Control Plans 2010
- Toggle 1 FRA Hours of Service Interim Statement of Agency Policy and Proposed Interpretation 2009
- Toggle 1 CPSC Extension of the Date by Which Youth All-Terrain Vehicles Must Be Tested and Certified 2010
- Toggle 1 FMCSA Electronic On-Board Recorders Broader Including Hours of Service of Drivers; Supporting Documents 2010
- Toggle 1 FRA Association of American Railroads – Waiver Petition 2009
- Toggle 1 FRA City of Vancouver, Washington - Waiver Petition 2010
- Toggle 1 FRA U.S. DOT/FRA - Metrics and Standards for Intercity Passenger Rail Service under Section 207 of Public Law 110-432 2009
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for BNSF Railway
- Toggle 65 FRA BNSF Railway Company - Positive Train Control Plans 2010
- Toggle 10 FRA BNSF Railway Company & Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers & Trainmen - Waiver Petition 2009
- Toggle 9 FRA Training Standards for Railroad Employees 2009
- Toggle 8 FRA Conductor Certification 2009
- Toggle 7 FRA Federal Railroad Administration - Notifications 2009
- Toggle 7 FRA BNSF Railway Company and Ferrocarril Mexican Railway Company - Waiver Petition 2010
- Toggle 6 FRA Kansas City Terminal Railway (KTC) - Positive Train Control Plans 2010
- Toggle 6 FRA CSX Transportation Inc. - Positive Train Control Plans (PTCIP) 2010
- Toggle 6 FRA Restriction of Improper Use of Cellular Telephone and Other Electronic and Electric Devices 2009
- Toggle 6 FRA Puget Sound Regional Transit Authority - Positive Train Control Plans 2010
Federal Spending1 contract
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Bnsf Railway Company||2009||U.S. Coast Guard||TAS::70 0618::TAS REPLACE EXISTING SWING SPAN BURLINGTON BRIDGE OVER UPPER MISSISSIPPI RIVER LOCATED IN BURLINGTON IA WITH VERTICAL LIFT BRIDGE THAT MAINTAINS THE EXISTING ALIGNMENT, AND PROVIDES A 300 FT HORIZONTAL CLEARANCE/ 60 FT VERTICAL CLEARANCE. DECLARED BY USCG TO BE UNREASONABLY OBSTRUCTION TO NAVIGATION AND BNSF RECEIVED ORDER TO ALTER.||$36,445,756|
EPA Violations2 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Chemical Commodities; Ashland||Bnsf Railway Company (+9 others)||2009||Olathe, Ks||$14,377,138|
|Bunker Hill: Wallace Yard Removal||Bnsf Railway Company (+1 others)||2010||Kellogg, Id||$6,509,964|
Advisory Committees7 people on 4 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "BNSF Railway" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Surface Transportation Board 6 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Transportation 1 person on 1 committee