The BNSF Railway (reporting mark BNSF), formerly known as the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway, is an American freight railroad company headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas; it is one of four remaining transcontinental railroads and one of the largest freight railroad networks in North America. Only the Union Pacific Railroad, its primary competitor for Western U.S. freight, is larger in size. The BNSF Railway moves more intermodal freight traffic than any other rail system in the world.
Campaign Finance$8,755,684 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of BNSF Railway
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount BNSF Railway $44,979,600
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Homeland Security,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.233 Railroad Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2009 S.146 Railroad Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2009 H.R.1650 Railroad Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2008 S.49 Railroad Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2011 S.158 Surface Transportation Board Reauthorization Act of 2011 S.772 Railroad Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2007 H.R.1789 Comprehensive Rail Infrastructure Investment Act of 2009 H.R.2125 Railroad Competition and Service Improvement Act of 2007 S.953 Railroad Competition and Service Improvement Act of 2007 H.R.2454 American Clean Energy And Security Act of 2009
RegulationsMentioned in 1102 dockets; Submitted to 42 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "BNSF Railway" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for BNSF Railway
- Toggle 12 FRA BNSF Railway Company - Positive Train Control Plans 2010
- Toggle 6 FRA Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corporation - Waiver Petition 2006
- Toggle 5 FRA Union Pacific Railroad Company - Waiver Petition 2004
- Toggle 5 FRA BNSF Railway Company & Norfolk Southern Railways - Waiver Petition 2006
- Toggle 4 FRA City of Seattle Washington & Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway - Waiver Petition 2008
- Toggle 3 FRA Part - 209 - Railroad Safety Enforcement Procedures - BNSF; Request for Confidential Treatment 2006
- Toggle 2 FRA Federal Railroad Administration - 2007 Emergency Relief Docket 2007
- Toggle 2 FRA Burlington Northern - Waiver Petition 2003
- Toggle 2 FRA Use of Locomotive Horns and Grade Crossings 1999
- Toggle 2 FRA BNSF Railway Company - Waiver Petition 2007
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for BNSF Railway
- Toggle 330 FRA BNSF Railway Company - Positive Train Control Plans 2010
- Toggle 34 FRA Part - 209 - Railroad Safety Enforcement Procedures - BNSF; Request for Confidential Treatment 2006
- Toggle 33 FRA BNSF Railway Company & Norfolk Southern Railways - Waiver Petition 2006
- Toggle 19 FRA Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corporation - Waiver Petition 2006
- Toggle 16 PHMSA Hazardous Materials: Rail Petitions and Recommendations to Improve the Safety of Railroad Tank Car Transportation 2012
- Toggle 16 FRA BNSF Railway Company & Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers & Trainmen - Waiver Petition 2009
- Toggle 14 FRA Environmental Review of Dakota Minnesota & Eastern Railroad Powder River Expansion Project Loan Application 2006
- Toggle 13 FRA City of Seattle Washington & Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway - Waiver Petition 2008
- Toggle 12 FRA BNSF Railway Company - Waiver Petition 2011
- Toggle 12 FRA BNSF Railway - Waiver Petition 2007
Federal Spending1 grant; 1 contract
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Bnsf Railway Company||2009||U.S. Coast Guard||TAS::70 0618::TAS REPLACE EXISTING SWING SPAN BURLINGTON BRIDGE OVER UPPER MISSISSIPPI RIVER LOCATED IN BURLINGTON IA WITH VERTICAL LIFT BRIDGE THAT MAINTAINS THE EXISTING ALIGNMENT, AND PROVIDES A 300 FT HORIZONTAL CLEARANCE/ 60 FT VERTICAL CLEARANCE. DECLARED BY USCG TO BE UNREASONABLY OBSTRUCTION TO NAVIGATION AND BNSF RECEIVED ORDER TO ALTER.||$36,445,756|
|Bnsf Railway Company||2006||Federal Railroad Administration||POSITIVE TRAIN CONTROL - ELECTRONIC TRAIN MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (ETMS) TO BE INSTALLED AND TESTED ON RAILWAY BETWEEN FT WORTH, TX AND OKLAHOMA CITY, OK.||$3,435,000|
EPA Violations4 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Chemical Commodities; Ashland||Bnsf Railway Company (+9 others)||2009||Olathe, Ks||$14,377,138|
|Casmalia Resources - Tier Ii De Minimis Aoc||The BNSF Railway Company (+23 others)||2003||Casmalia, Ca||$8,168,000|
|Bunker Hill: Wallace Yard Removal||Bnsf Railway Company (+1 others)||2010||Kellogg, Id||$6,509,964|
|Denova Environmental||BNSF Railway Company (+14 others)||2007||Rialto, Ca||$1,216,352|
Advisory Committees9 people on 5 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "BNSF Railway" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Surface Transportation Board 7 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Transportation 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 1 person on 1 committee