Blue Cross/Blue Shield
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Blue Cross/Blue Shield
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Blue Cross/Blue Shield $15,040,000 Wellpoint Inc $9,330,000 Health Care Service Corp $7,300,000 Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Florida $3,110,000 Highmark Inc $1,461,000 Amerigroup Corp $1,060,000 Independence Blue Cross $1,040,000 Blue Cross/Blue Shield of South Carolina $998,634 Wellmark Inc $980,000 Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Minnesota $340,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Government Issues,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1206 Access to Professional Health Insurance Advisors Act of 2011 H.R.371 Health Care Choice Act of 2011 H.R.1370 To repeal the annual fee on health insurance providers enacted by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. H.R.1213 To repeal mandatory funding provided to States in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to establish American Health Benefit Exchanges. S.1880 Jobs and Premium Protection Act H.R.5 Help Efficient, Accessible, Low-cost, Timely Healthcare (HEALTH) Act of 2011 S.1789 21st Century Postal Service Act of 2011 S.1049 Small Business Health Relief Act of 2011 H.R.1683 State Flexibility Act S.868 State Flexibility Act
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Registrant Summary Nov. 19, 2013 Peck, Madigan et al S. 1486, Postal Reform Act of 2013: Sections 104 and 105. View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 66 dockets; Submitted to 11 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Blue Cross/Blue Shield" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Toggle 1 HHS Planning and Establishment of Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan Program; Request for Comments Regarding Provisions of Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan Program 2011
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Information Technology; Implementation Specifications, and Certification Criteria: Electronic Health Record Technology, 2014 Edition 2012
- Toggle 1 HHS Nationwide Health Information Network: Conditions for Trusted Exchange 2012
- Toggle 1 IRS Health Insurance Premium Assistance Credit 2011
- Toggle 1 HHS Establishment of the Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan Program 2011
- Toggle 1 IRS Regulations Pertaining to the Disclosure of Return Information to Carry Out Eligibility Requirements for Health Insurance Affordability Programs 2012
- Toggle 1 Procedures for the Handling of Retaliation Complaints under Section 1558 of the Affordable Care Act of 2010 2011
- Toggle 1 HHS HIPAA Privacy Rule Accounting of Disclosures under the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act 2011
- Toggle 1 TREAS Public Input on the Report to Congress on How to Modernize and Improve the System of Insurance Regulation in the United States 2011
- Toggle 1 EBSA Incentives for Nondiscriminatory Wellness Programs in Group Health Plans 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Toggle 29 CMS Exchanges Part II--Standards Related to Essential Health Benefits; Health Insurance Issuer and Exchange Responsibilities with Respect to Actuarial Value, Quality, and Accreditation CMS-9980-P 2012
- Toggle 15 OPM Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: Establishment of Multi-State Plan Program for Affordable Insurance Exchanges 2012
- Toggle 7 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
- Toggle 5 CMS Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act; HHS Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2014 (CMS-9964-P) 2012
- Toggle 4 CMS Medical Loss Ratio Requirements 2011
- Toggle 4 CMS Uniform Disclosure to Consumers: Benefit Design, Cost Sharing, & Standards for Definitions 2011
- Toggle 3 CMS Medicare Program; Revisions to Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule, DME Face-to-Face Encounters, Elimination of the Requirement for Termination of Non-Random Prepayment Complex Medical Review and Other Revisions to Part B for CY 2013 (CMS-1590-P) 2012
- Toggle 3 CMS Medicare Program: Availability of Medicare Data for Performance Measurement 2011
- Toggle 3 CMS Medical Loss Ratio Annual Reporting and Rebate Calculation (CMS-10418) 2011
- Toggle 3 HHS Health Information Technology; Implementation Specifications, and Certification Criteria: Electronic Health Record Technology, 2014 Edition 2012
Advisory Committees3 people on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Blue Cross/Blue Shield" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 3 people on 1 committee