Blue Cross/Blue Shield
Campaign Finance$12,912,618 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Blue Cross/Blue Shield
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Blue Cross/Blue Shield $111,400,000 Wellpoint Inc $32,470,000 Health Care Service Corp $16,900,000 Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Florida $13,890,000 Blue Cross/Blue Shield of South Carolina $5,369,490 Wellpoint Health Networks $4,290,000 Highmark Inc $3,579,787 Wellmark Inc $2,710,000 Independence Blue Cross $1,710,000 Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Minnesota $1,653,488
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Government Issues,
- Veterans Affairs,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1206 Access to Professional Health Insurance Advisors Act of 2011 H.R.3162 Children's Health and Medicare Protection Act of 2007 H.R.371 Health Care Choice Act of 2011 H.R.1370 To repeal the annual fee on health insurance providers enacted by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 H.R.2184 S.1693 Wired for Health Care Quality Act S.334 Healthy Americans Act H.R.1213 To repeal mandatory funding provided to States in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to establish American Health Benefit Exchanges. H.R.1424 Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Registrant Summary Nov. 19, 2013 Peck, Madigan et al S. 1486, Postal Reform Act of 2013: Sections 104 and 105. View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 311 dockets; Submitted to 34 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Blue Cross/Blue Shield" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Toggle 2 HHS Health Insurance Issuers Implementing Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) Requirements under Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Strengthening the Center for Devices and Radiological Health’s 510(k) Review Process; Public Meeting; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 1 IRS Shared Responsibility for Employers Regarding Health Coverage 2013
- Toggle 1 HHS Modifications to the HIPAA Privacy, Security, and Enforcement Rules Under the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act; Proposed Rule 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Breach Notification Interim Final Rule 2009
- Toggle 1 Ninety-Day Waiting Period Limitation and Technical Amendments to Certain Health Coverage Requirements Under the Affordable Care Act 2013
- Toggle 1 FDA Guidance for Industry on Good Reprint Practices for the Distribution of Medical Journal Articles and Medical or Scientific Reference Publications on Unapproved New Uses of Approved Drugs and Approved or Cleared Medical Devices 2008
- Toggle 1 HHS Planning and Establishment of Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan Program; Request for Comments Regarding Provisions of Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan Program 2011
- Toggle 1 EEOC Regulations Under the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 2009
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Information Technology; Implementation Specifications, and Certification Criteria: Electronic Health Record Technology, 2014 Edition 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Toggle 29 CMS Exchanges Part II--Standards Related to Essential Health Benefits; Health Insurance Issuer and Exchange Responsibilities with Respect to Actuarial Value, Quality, and Accreditation CMS-9980-P 2012
- Toggle 25 CMS Medicare Program; Accountable Care Organizations and the Medicare Shared Saving Program 2010
- Toggle 18 CMS Medicaid, Children’s Health Insurance Programs, and Exchanges: Essential Health Benefits in Alternative Benefit Plans, Eligibility Notices, Fair Hearing and Appeal Processes for Medicaid and Exchange Eligibility Appeals and Other Provisions Related to Eligibility and Enrollment for Exchanges, Medicaid and CHIP, and Medicaid Premiums and Cost Sharing (CMS-2334-P) 2013
- Toggle 15 OPM Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: Establishment of Multi-State Plan Program for Affordable Insurance Exchanges 2012
- Toggle 12 CMS HIPAA Administrative Simplification: Modification to Medical Data Code Set Standards to Adopt ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS 2008
- Toggle 11 CMS Revisions to Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule, and Other Part B Payment Policies; Revisions to Payment Policies for Ambulance Services for CY 2008; and the Proposed Elimination of the E-Rx Exemption for Computer-Generated Faxes*** 2010
- Toggle 9 CMS Standards for E-Prescribing Under Medicare Part D 2010
- Toggle 7 HHS Premium Review Process; Request for Comments Regarding Section 2794 of the Public Health Service Act 2010
- Toggle 7 EBSA The Paul Wellstone and Pete Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 2009
- Toggle 7 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
Federal Spending2 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Blue Cross/Blue Shield Assoc.||2002||Health Resources And Services Administration||OTHER PROFESSIONAL SERVICES||$1,164,000|
|Blue Cross/Blue Shield Assoc.||2003||Health Resources And Services Administration||OTHER PROFESSIONAL SERVICES||$1,000,000|
Advisory Committees10 people on 6 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Blue Cross/Blue Shield" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 10 people on 6 committees