Biotechnology Industry Organization
Biotechnology Industry Organization is an industry lobby group founded 1993 in Washington, D.C. The current President is James C. Greenwood, while Carl B. Feldbaum was the president until he retired in 2004.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2010 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Biotechnology Industry Organization
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Biotechnology Industry Organization $15,800,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Health Issues,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
- Small Business
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 S.3686 Department of Labor Appropriations Act, 2011 H.R.4899 Disaster Relief and Summer Jobs Act of 2010 S.3606 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2011 H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 S.1250 Algae-based Renewable Fuel Promotion Act of 2009 H.R.5142 Grow a Renewable Energy Economy Now--Jumpstart Other Biofuels Act of 2010 H.R.1548 Pathway for Biosimilars Act H.R.1586 FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act S.525 Pharmaceutical Market Access and Drug Safety Act of 2009
RegulationsMentioned in 130 dockets; Submitted to 64 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Biotechnology Industry Organization" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Biotechnology Industry Organization
- Toggle 8 FDA FDA Transparency Task Force; Public Meeting 2009
- Toggle 3 FDA Prescription Drug User Fee Act; Public Meeting 2010
- Toggle 3 APHIS Environmental Assessment; Determination of Nonregulated Status of Sugar Beet Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2010
- Toggle 2 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Format and Content of Proposed Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS), REMS Assessments, and Proposed REMS Modifications; Availability 2009
- Toggle 2 USTR 2010 Special 301 2010
- Toggle 2 ITA Request for Public Comment To Inform Development of National Export Initiative Plan 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Investigational New Drug Applications; Co-Development of Investigational Drugs 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Non-Inferiority Clinical Trials; Availability 2010
- Toggle 1 DOE Rulemaking to Amend 10 CFR Part 1021: National Environmental Policy Act Implementing Procedures 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Good Importer Practices; Availability 2009
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Biotechnology Industry Organization
- Toggle 18 APHIS Environmental Assessment; Determination of Nonregulated Status of Sugar Beet Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2010
- Toggle 9 FDA FDA Transparency Task Force; Public Meeting 2009
- Toggle 7 EPA RFS Annual Rulemaking 2010
- Toggle 6 FDA Food Labeling; Labeling of Food Made From AquAdvantage Salmon; Public Hearing; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 5 FDA Approval Pathway for Biosimilar and Interchangeable Biological Products; Public Hearing; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 5 USTR 2010 Special 301 2010
- Toggle 5 APHIS Dow AgroSciences LLC; Availability of Petition, Plant Pest Risk Assessment, and Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Corn Genetically Engineered for Herbicide Tolerance 2010
- Toggle 4 USDA Solicitation of Input from Stakeholders on the Roadmap for Agricultural Research, Education, and Extension 2009
- Toggle 4 NIH Public Meeting on Expansion of the Clinical Trial Registry and Results Data Bank 2009
- Toggle 4 FDA Development and Distribution of Patient Medication Information for Prescription Drugs; Public Hearing 2010
Advisory Committees4 people on 4 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Biotechnology Industry Organization" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Defense 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 1 committee