Biogen Idec, Inc. (NASDAQ: BIIB) is a biotechnology company specializing in drugs for neurological disorders, autoimmune disorders and cancer. The company was formed in 2003 by the merger of Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Biogen Inc. and San Diego, California-based IDEC Pharmaceuticals (formed in 1986 by biotech pioneers Ivor Royston and Howard Birndorf). Biogen, one of the oldest biotechnology companies, was founded in 1978 in Geneva by several biologists, including Phillip Sharp of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Walter Gilbert of Harvard (who served as CEO during the start-up phase) and Charles Weissmann of Zurich University (who contributed the first product interferon-alpha).
Campaign Finance$723,009 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Biogen Idec
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Biogen Idec $11,892,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1548 Pathway for Biosimilars Act H.R.3200 America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 H.R.1260 Patent Reform Act of 2009 S.515 Patent Reform Act of 2009 H.R.1908 Patent Reform Act of 2007 S.1145 Patent Reform Act of 2007 H.R.1427 Promoting Innovation and Access to Life-Saving Medicine Act H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 H.R.3962 Affordable Health Care for America Act S.1796 America's Healthy Future Act of 2009
RegulationsMentioned in 82 dockets; Submitted to 23 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Biogen Idec" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Biogen Idec
- Toggle 2 FDA Content and Format of Labeling for Human Prescription Drug and Biological Products; Requirements for Pregnancy and Lactation Labeling 2006
- Toggle 1 FDA Quantitative Summary of the Benefits and Risks of Prescription Drugs: A Literature Review. 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Presenting Risk Information in Prescription Drug and Medical Device Promotion, the FDA Perspective; Draft Guidance for Industry 2008
- Toggle 1 FDA Approval Pathway for Biosimilar and Interchangeable Biological Products; Public Hearing; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Biosimilars: Questions and Answers Regarding Implementation of the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009; Availability 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Guidance for Industry on Drug Interaction Studies-Study Design, Data Analysis, and Implications for Dosing and Labeling 2006
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry and Review Staff on Nonclinical Safety Evaluation of Reformulated Drug Products and Products Intended for Administration by an Alternate Route 2008
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Genotoxic and Carcinogenic Impurities in Drug Substances and Products 2008
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance on M3(R2) Nonclinical Safety Studies for the Conduct of Human Clinical Trials and Marketing Authorization for Pharmaceuticals 2008
- Toggle 1 FDA Current Good Manufacturing Practice Requirements for Combination Products 2009
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Biogen Idec
- Toggle 11 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Chemical Manufacturing Area Sources 2008
- Toggle 6 FDA Scientific Considerations Related to Developing Follow-on Protein Products 2004
- Toggle 4 FDA Angiomax, Patent Term Extension Application, No. 5,196,404 2001
- Toggle 4 CMS Medicaid Prescription Drugs Average Manufacture Price 2010
- Toggle 2 FDA Implementation of Risk Minimization Action Plans (RiskMAPs) to Support Quality Use of Pharmaceuticals: Opportunities and Challenges; Public Workshop 2007
- Toggle 2 FDA Guidance for Industry on Drug Interaction Studies-Study Design, Data Analysis, and Implications for Dosing and Labeling 2006
- Toggle 2 EPA Pesticides: Data Requirements for Conventional Chemical 2004
- Toggle 2 Considerations Regarding Food And Drug Administration Review and Regulation of Drugs for the Treatment of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis; Public Hearing 2013
- Toggle 2 CMS Changes to the Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System and Ambulatory Surgical Center Payment System for CY 2008 Payment Rates 2010
- Toggle 2 EERE Energy Efficiency Program for Consumer Products: Public Meeting and the Availability of the Framework Document for Fluorescent Lamp Ballasts 2007
Advisory Committees2 people on 2 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Biogen Idec" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle National Science Foundation 1 person on 1 committee