Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY) is a specialty retailer of consumer electronics in the United States, accounting for 19% of the market. It also operates in Mexico, Canada, China, Turkey and the United Kingdom. The company's subsidiaries include Geek Squad, Magnolia Audio Video, Pacific Sales, and, in Canada operates under both the Best Buy and Future Shop label. Together these operate more than 1,150 stores in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada, China, Mexico, and Turkey. In addition, the company has rolled out over 100 Best Buy Express Automated Retail stores or "ZoomShops", operated by Zoom Systems, in airports and malls around the U.S. The company's corporate headquarters are located in Richfield, Minnesota.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Best Buy
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Best Buy $3,940,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Environment & Superfund,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Consumer Product Safety,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Health Issues,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3179 Marketplace Equity Act of 2011 H.R.1081 Consumers Payment System Protection Act S.575 Debit Interchange Fee Study Act of 2011 S.1832 Marketplace Fairness Act H.R.2701 Main Street Fairness Act S.1492 Three Kids Mine Remediation and Reclamation Act H.R.2168 Geolocational Privacy and Surveillance Act S.1000 Energy Savings and Industrial Competitiveness Act of 2011 S.1207 Data Security and Breach Notification Act of 2011 S.1212 Geolocational Privacy and Surveillance Act
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Registrant Summary April 9, 2013 Blank Rome LLP Federal sales tax fairness legislation H.R. 684, S. 336 and SA 656 Marketplace Fairness Act; Enzi amendment to SConRes 8 View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 47 dockets; Submitted to 6 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Best Buy" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Best Buy
- Toggle 1 CFPB Defining Larger Participants in Certain Consumer Financial Products and Services Markets 2011
- Toggle 1 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments on Possible Negotiations in the World Trade Organization to Expand the Information Technology Agreement, including Its Product Coverage 2011
- Toggle 1 CFPB Streamling Inherited Regulations 2011
- Toggle 1 LMSO Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act; Interpretation of the "Advice" Exemption 2011
- Toggle 1 CFPB Electronic Fund Transfers 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Best Buy
- Toggle 13 FDA Current Good Manufacturing Practice and Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls For Human Food 2011
- Toggle 3 ED Request for Information on Strategies for Improving Outcomes for Disconnected Youth 2012
- Toggle 3 OMB Development of the Joint Strategic Plan on Intellectual Property Enforcement 2012
- Toggle 3 EPA Solicitation of Input from Stakeholders to inform the National Framework for Electronics Stewardship 2011
- Toggle 2 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Agency Information Collection Activities; Proposed Collection; Comment Request; Experimental Study on Consumer Responses to Nutrition Facts Labels with Various Footnote Formats and Declaration of Amount of Added Sugars 2012
- Toggle 2 FDA Approaches to Reducing Sodium Consumption 2011
- Toggle 2 DOT Order Soliciting Small Community Grant Proposals 2011
- Toggle 2 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans; State of Montana; State Implementation Plan and Regional Haze Federal Implementation Plan 2011
- Toggle 1 ITC Investigations: Hot-Rolled Flat-Rolled Carbon-Quality Steel Products From Brazil, Japan, and Russia 2011
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.