BellSouth Corporation is an American telecommunications holding company based in Atlanta, Georgia. BellSouth was one of the seven original Regional Bell Operating Companies after the U.S. Department of Justice forced the American Telephone & Telegraph Company to divest itself of its regional telephone companies on January 1, 1984.
Campaign Finance$12,030,792 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of BellSouth Corp
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount BellSouth Corp $43,060,708
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Radio & TV Broadcasting,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Health Issues,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Homeland Security,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.5252 Communications Opportunity, Promotion, and Enhancement Act of 2006 S.1504 Broadband Investment and Consumer Choice Act S.2686 Communications, Consumer's Choice, and Broadband Deployment Act of 2006 H.R.4709 Law Enforcement and Phone Privacy Protection Act of 2006 H.R.102 Children's Access to Technology Act H.R.4127 Data Accountability and Trust Act (DATA) H.R.5672 Science, State, Justice, Commerce, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 48 dockets; Submitted to 2 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "BellSouth Corp" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for BellSouth Corp
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for BellSouth Corp
- Toggle 5 EPA Hazardous Waste Management System; Modification of the Hazardous Waste Program; Hazardous Waste Lamps; Final Rule 1999
- Toggle 3 FACOSH 2013 Activities, Including Meetings, Subcommittees, Member Nominations and Appointees, and Recommendations to the Secretary 2013
- Toggle 3 ETA Trade Adjustment Act Notices September 22, 2006 to November 30, 2006 2007
- Toggle 2 OSHA CONFINED SPACES 2006
- Toggle 2 DOT Alitalia-Linee Aeree Italiane-S.p.A., Czech Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Inc., KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Northwest Airlines, Inc. and Societe Air France - Approval of and Antitrust Immunity for Alliance Agreements 2004
- Toggle 2 EPA Clean Water Act Class II: Proposed Administrative Settlement, Penalty Assessment and Opportunity To Comment Regarding BellSouth Corporation 2003
- Toggle 2 DOT Virgin America Inc. - Certificate - Interstate Scheduled Air Transportation 2005
- Toggle 2 OSHA WALKING AND WORKING SURFACES SUBPART D 2006
- Toggle 2 PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT 2006
- Toggle 1 FAA Exemption/Rulemaking - Jerry L. Adams et al 2000
EPA Violations3 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Industrial Pollution Control (Ipc) (Cost Recovery Agmt)||Bellsouth Telecommunications, Inc. (+236 others)||2003||Jackson, Ms||$3,440,369|
|Florida Petroleum Reprocessors||Southern Bell (+583 others)||2004||Fort Lauderdale, Fl||$2,316,314|
|Whitehouse Waste Oil Pits Superfund Site||Bellsouth Telecommunications, Inc. (+50 others)||2003||Whitehouse, Fl||$1,991,380|
Advisory Committees3 people on 3 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "BellSouth Corp" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of State 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle National Science Foundation 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Office of Science and Technology Policy 1 person on 1 committee